Rx – Kate Fodor

rx

Received its world pre­miere at 59E59 The­ater in New York City on Feb­ru­ary 7, 2012.

Orig­i­nal Cast:

Meena Pierotti                                                  Marin Hin­kle
Phil Gray                                                            Stephen Kunken
Alli­son                                                                 Eliz­a­beth Rich
Simon                                                                 Michael Bakkensen
Frances                                                              Mary­louise Burke
Richard/Ed                                                         Paul Niebanck

Direc­tor:  Ethan McSweeny
Set Design:  Lee Sav­age
Cos­tume Design:  Andrea Lauer
Light­ing Design:  Matthew Richards
Music and Sound Design:
  Lind­say Jones
Stage Man­ager:  Jen­nifer Rae Moore

Meena Pierotti:  Man­ag­ing Edi­tor, Pig­geries, Amer­i­can Cat­tle & Swine Mag­a­zine
Phil Gray:  Schmidt Pharma researcher
Alli­son Hardy:  Phil’s boss
Simon:  Meena’s boss
Frances:  A widow in need of new under­wear
Richard:
  Mar­ket­ing exec­u­tive
Ed:
  Schmidt Pharma researcher

Pub­li­ca­tion:  Fodor, Kate. Rx. Drama­tists Play Ser­vice, 2012. Drama Library PS3606. O36 R8 2012.

Set­ting:  A Mid­west­ern city; the present

Lan­guage:  Contemporary

ALLISON

You know how I know that peo­ple don’t hate their jobs because of cor­po­rate crap? Because I have been through every piece of cor­po­rate crap there is. I could pull a mile of red tape out of my ass and use it to tie a bow around all the forms I have to fill out today, but I love my job, Phil. And that’s just in my blood—

Genre/Style:  Comedy

Plot:  The Man­ag­ing Edi­tor, Pig­geries, of Amer­i­can Cat­tle & Swine Mag­a­zine signs up for the clin­i­cal trial of a drug to treat work­place depres­sion.  A funny and pointed stab at Big Phar­macy and our drug-dependent cul­ture and its quest for hap­pi­ness in the form of a pill.  And, sur­prise, sur­prise, this play actu­ally made me laugh out loud.

Rep­re­sen­ta­tive Mono­logues:  Mono­logues con­tain the first few lines and the last few lines; please con­sult the pub­lished text for the mono­logue in its entirety.

p. 10:  Alli­son addresses the annual Schmidt Pharma stock­hold­ers meeting.  

ALLISON

Wow, great pre­sen­ta­tion. Thanks, Carl. It’s always good to hear about what’s going on in the Car­di­ol­ogy Busi­ness Unit. They’ve got a lot of heart over there. For those of you who haven’t heard me speak at a share­hold­ers’ meet­ing before, I’m Alli­son Hardy, MBA, team leader of the Neu­rol­ogy Busi­ness Unit here at Schmidt Pharma. [Lines cut] I assure you that Intend to per­son­ally see to it that all goes well. Now ask me some ques­tions so I can stay up here a lit­tle longer. I love it up here.

p. 25:  Phil tells Meena he had a dream inspired by read­ing her pub­lished prose poem on feet.

PHIL

Actu­ally, I had a dream after I read it. I was back in Chicago, in the emer­gency room at Hart­nett Hos­pi­tal, which is where I did my intern­ship. And I walked out into the wait­ing area and I looked at all the peo­ple.  [Lines cut] But in this dream I was back at Hart­nett and the wait­ing room was really crowded, and every­one in there was bare­foot. Like in your prose poem. And some­how see­ing their feet, it made me feel some com­pas­sion again. It made me want to be of ser­vice to them.

p.40–41:  Alli­son explains why they’re pulling the plug on a heart­break pill study and how they’re already plan­ning the long-term rev­enue stream for the work­place depres­sion pill.

ALLISON

Any­way, they’re going to pull the plug on that study and I’ll tell you why: because there’s no long-term rev­enue stream. Ed Mor­gan has no fore­sight. [Lines cut] Oh my God, Phil, are you cry­ing? Stop. Who broke your heart? I’ll wring her neck. Aw, Phil. C’mere. Buck up. (Alli­son gives Phil a hug with a few good slaps on the back. She notices the vial in his hand.) What’s that?

Rep­re­sen­ta­tive Scenes:  

p. 13–14:  Alli­son explains to Phil why he can’t take his doc­u­ment hutch (shelf) off his work mod­ule (desk).  Starts with

ALLISON

Hey! Phil!

and ends with

ALLISON

I took it off. (She shrugs.) I’m man­age­ment. My life isn’t easy, Phil, but it really has its satisfactions.

p. 42–44:  Ed acci­den­tally gives Phil a poten­tially fatal drug they’re devel­op­ing to cure heart­break.  Starts with

ED

I’m late.

and ends with

ED

I’m going to call an ambu­lance. I think that’s the right thing to do.

p.46–48:  Alli­son tells Phil that the com­pany is pulling the plug on the work­place depres­sion drug and that he’s fired.  Starts with

ALLISON

Oh look. You didn’t die.

and ends with

PHIL

OK.

Select Bib­li­og­ra­phy of Reviews and Crit­i­cism:  (Note:  arti­cle title links are to the online ver­sions, mostly UW-only restricted unless des­ig­nated as open access.)

DZIEMIANOWICZ, J. (2012, Feb 08). Look­ing for a fix: Two atires send up pill-popping & beauty-chopping. New York Daily News.

Fein­gold, M. (2012, Feb 15). Rx: A pre­scrip­tion for laugh­ter. [open access] The Vil­lage Voice.

Ish­er­wood, C. (2012, Feb 08). Dr. feel­good isn’t feel­ing quite like him­self. New York Times.

Vin­cen­telli, E. (2012, Feb 09). Just what doc­tor ordered. New York Post.