Mangels lecture, “Liberation Mythologies: Quests for Roots, Spirit and Justice in Afro-Puerto Rican, Afro-Dominican, and Mexica Dance and Music”

Thursday, February 28
6:30-8:30pm
Kane Hall 120

Raquel RiveraWhere does artistic practice and spiritual belief intersect with grassroots activism? This question will be at the heart of Raquel Z. Rivera’s discussion on art and spirituality, The Liberation Mythologies: Quests for Roots, Spirit and Justice in Afro-Puerto Rican, Afro-Dominican, and Mexica Music and Dance.

Dr. Rivera will look at myth-making through the prisms of eclectic North American communities. She will examine how groups try to explain the unexplainable, from Afro-Puerto Rican bomba dancers in New York to communities of New Mexico-based concheros and Mexica dancers. Rivera will connect the traditions these groups honor while exploring how they build a better future.

Dr. Raquel Z. Rivera is an author, scholar, and singer-songwriter

This entry was posted in Uncategorized by mjj22. Bookmark the permalink.

About mjj22

Current research project The Multi Dimensions of Blackness: Cultural Hegemony in the US and Abroad I am interested in how the concept of race and identity plays a role in how we perceive difference. Moreover, I would like to investigate how colonial powers such as the United States have shaped ideas of race and identity while maintaining colonial rule abroad. This past summer (2012) I was a participant in the Summer Institute in the Art & Humanities. This opportunity allowed me to explore questions concerning race and representation. Why were my peers studying abroad and returning with the same preconceived notions of developing countries? Why were my college classmates representing people and places in the Global South as underdeveloped, religious radicals, uneducated, disease stricken, and confrontational? These questions have driven my interest in globalization, power, borders, and how a variety of people and institutions located in "the West" represent the Global South.