Seattle Fandango Project workshop

Saturday, March 2
El Centro de la Raza
2425 16th Ave S
Seattle, WA 98144

What is Fandango / Que es el Fandango

Fandango jarocho is a four-hundred-year-old tradition from Veracruz, Mexico born from the encounter between European, Indigenous, African, and Arab cultures. After being canonized by the Mexican government, El Nuevo Movimiento Jaranero reclaimed the musical celebration of fandango in the 1970’s as a space for community transformation and empowerment. Over the last twenty years, Chicano and Mexican communities in the U.S. have engaged with communities in Veracruz to use fandango as a technology for community building and social justice that transcends national borders.

The Seattle Fandango Project joins this movement by using the fandango to build and transform community. As a technology (in the analog), fandango contains protocols within dance, music, verse, and participation that provide new channels of communication, connection, and understanding. People find themselves through musical interaction with others, and both individually and communally realize new possibilities and ways of being. This is convivencia, to convene and coexist. Once people leave fandango, this new sense of self carries over to other parts of their lives.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized by mjj22. Bookmark the permalink.

About mjj22

Current research project The Multi Dimensions of Blackness: Cultural Hegemony in the US and Abroad I am interested in how the concept of race and identity plays a role in how we perceive difference. Moreover, I would like to investigate how colonial powers such as the United States have shaped ideas of race and identity while maintaining colonial rule abroad. This past summer (2012) I was a participant in the Summer Institute in the Art & Humanities. This opportunity allowed me to explore questions concerning race and representation. Why were my peers studying abroad and returning with the same preconceived notions of developing countries? Why were my college classmates representing people and places in the Global South as underdeveloped, religious radicals, uneducated, disease stricken, and confrontational? These questions have driven my interest in globalization, power, borders, and how a variety of people and institutions located in "the West" represent the Global South.

11 thoughts on “Seattle Fandango Project workshop

1. I have been exploring for a little for any high-quality articles or weblog posts on this kind of
    area . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this
    web site. Reading this info So i’m happy to convey that I’ve an incredibly
    just right uncanny feeling I found out just what I needed.
    I such a lot indubitably will make certain to do not overlook this
    website and provides it a glance regularly.

Here is my webpage – mobile apps for android download (Randal)

2. I do believe all of the ideas you have introduced to your post. They’re very convincing and can definitely work. Still, the posts are too brief for beginners. May just you please extend them a bit from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.