Borderlands Graduate Student Coffee hour with Profs. Simpson and Zepeda

Friday April 12, 2013
10:00 am
Location: Communications 206

Contact:  lasuw@uw.edu or 206.685.3435

Borderlands Graduate Student Coffee hour with Audra Simpson and Ofelia Zepeda. Come meet Profs. Simpson and Zepeda for an informal chat with other graduate students interested in borderlands research.

Presented as part of B/ordering Violence: Boundaries, Gender, Indigeneity in the Americas, a John E. Sawyer Seminar in Comparative Cultures generously funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation and co-sponsored by the Latin American & Caribbean Studies program, the Henry M. Jackson School of International Studies, the Simpson Center for the Humanities, and the Institute for the Study of Ethnicity, Race, & Sexuality (WISER).

For more on the B/ordering Violence Seminar Series, visit depts.washington.edu/uwch/programs/initiatives/bordering-violence and www.borderingviolence.com

This entry was posted in Uncategorized by mjj22. Bookmark the permalink.

About mjj22

Current research project The Multi Dimensions of Blackness: Cultural Hegemony in the US and Abroad I am interested in how the concept of race and identity plays a role in how we perceive difference. Moreover, I would like to investigate how colonial powers such as the United States have shaped ideas of race and identity while maintaining colonial rule abroad. This past summer (2012) I was a participant in the Summer Institute in the Art & Humanities. This opportunity allowed me to explore questions concerning race and representation. Why were my peers studying abroad and returning with the same preconceived notions of developing countries? Why were my college classmates representing people and places in the Global South as underdeveloped, religious radicals, uneducated, disease stricken, and confrontational? These questions have driven my interest in globalization, power, borders, and how a variety of people and institutions located in "the West" represent the Global South.

5 thoughts on “Borderlands Graduate Student Coffee hour with Profs. Simpson and Zepeda

1. Do you have a spam issue on this site; I also am a blogger, and I was
    wanting to know your situation; many of us have created some
    nice procedures and we are looking to swap strategies
    with other folks, be sure to shoot me an e-mail if interested.

2. Appreciating the dedication you put into your website and in depth information you present.
    It’s nice to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same old rehashed material.

Wonderful read! I’ve bookmarked your site and I’m adding your
    RSS feeds to my Google account.

3. Speed’s piece is a dev­as­tat­ing account of the vio­lences that tar­get indige­nous women migrants in the Amer­i­cas. The B/ordering Violence Sawyer Seminar is generously funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation and co-sponsored by the Latin American Caribbean Studies program, the Jackson School of International Studies, the Simpson Center for the Humanities, and the University of Washington’s Institute for the Study of Ethnicity, Race, and Sexuality (WISER).

Buy Green Coffee Bean Max Supplements