Chelsey Wilks’ Bio

I grad­u­ated from the Uni­ver­sity of Nevada-Las Vegas, where I earned a BS in human ser­vice coun­sel­ing. At UNLV, I worked as a research ther­a­pist on a trial exam­in­ing the effi­cacy of Fam­ily Behav­ior Ther­apy on women who have been referred to treat­ment for child neglect and sub­stance abuse. This early clin­i­cal expe­ri­ence fos­tered an inter­est in treat­ment out­come research with dif­fi­cult to treat clients.

While at the Uni­ver­sity of Wash­ing­ton, I devel­oped a research inter­est in devel­op­ing treat­ments for high risk indi­vid­u­als who are out of touch with the cur­rent men­tal health infra­struc­ture. As such, I am inter­ested in the appli­ca­tion of tech­nol­ogy to broaden that infra­struc­ture. This line of research has gar­nered an empir­i­cal inves­ti­ga­tion about a) the degree to which we are test­ing com­put­er­ized inter­ven­tions on gen­er­al­iz­able pop­u­la­tions and b) the eth­i­cal impli­ca­tions of offer­ing com­put­er­ized inter­ven­tions to high risk pop­u­la­tions. Cur­rently, I am devel­op­ing an online DBT skills pro­gram for sui­ci­dal indi­vid­u­als who drink to reg­u­late their emotions.