Marivi Navarro’s Bio

I started my Master’s in Clinical Psychology and PhD studies at Jaume I University (Castellon, Spain). In 2007, I was awarded a fellowship to support my involvement in a clinical trial aimed to evaluate Dialectical Behavior Therapy effectiveness for Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) and Eating Disorders (ED). This fellowship and my Master’s degree allowed me to work in a clinical center in Valencia, Spain where I had the opportunity to receive DBT training for BPD and ED. After completing my fellowship, I was hired as a research assistant and research therapist, and I worked for 4 years in the “Psychopathology, Assessment and Treatment of Emotional Disorders” research team, directed by Dr. Cristina Botella (Labpsitec, Universitat Jaume I). During those years I also gained clinical experience in behavioral interventions to treat clients with emotional disorders such as anxiety and depression.

Apart from DBT, I have worked on the development of research projects with a focus in clinical psychology, and I have participated as a research therapist in projects evaluating Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), use of Information and Communication Technologies (virtual reality, online therapy, and Ecological Momentary Assessment and Intervention with mobile devices) for different populations. In 2012, I was awarded a two-year post-doctoral fellowship at Behavioral Research & Therapy Clinics (University of Washington) directed by Dr. Marsha Linehan. I am currently working on several projects at BRTC: “DBT Curriculum for Training DBT Clinician-Scientists”, “Evaluation of Training in Dialectical Behavior Therapy”, and “Treatment of Suicidal and Self-Injurious Adolescents with Emotional Dysregulation”. My tasks are mainly related to managing clinical trial data, mentoring undergraduate and graduate students, supervising research assistants, teaching research seminars, and disseminating our DBT clinician-scientist program to other academic programs.