DBT Training at the BRTC
The BRTC is a clinical research and training center focusing on both the development and evaluation of psychotherapies for individuals with BPD, particularly those who are highly suicidal or have severe out-of-control behavioral patterns. We are a training center aiming to provide young investigators with the training, research, and clinical skills necessary for careers in clinical research with difficult-to-treat populations.
Graduate students and postdoctoral fellows are trained to become DBT therapists through participation in the BRTC Treatment Development Clinic (TDC) training program. A major goal of the TDC is to produce motivated, compassionate, empathic and scientifically rigorous clinician-scientists. Trainees are required to complete two parts of training. Part I involves coursework training in the areas of behavioral assessment, behavioral therapy, mindfulness, suicide management, and DBT theory and strategy. Part II involves a clinical practicum. Trainees have opportunities to observe expert DBT clinicians, such as Dr. Linehan, in therapy session. They are also required to provide direct clinical services to individual clients, to lead a DBT skills training group, and to attend a weekly DBT consultation team. All trainees are supervised by expert DBT clinicians.
In addition to providing training to graduate students and young investigators, Dr. Linehan offers a weekly advanced DBT seminar to senior graduate students and expert DBT clinicians working on our clinical trials.
Professional Training in DBT
Behavioral Tech, LLC, founded by Dr. Marsha Linehan, offers training for Mental Health Professionals
DBT Postdoctoral Training at Other Institutions
Postdoctoral Training in Dialectical Behavior therapy is available at institutions outside the University of Washington. We will update this list as we hear of opportunities.
Predoctoral Internships in DBT
- Pre-Doctoral Internship at Duke University (rotation with Clive Robbins, Ph.D.)
- Pre-Doctoral Internship at Brown University
- Women’s Dialectical Behavior Therapy Partial Hospital Program – Butler Hospital
- Pre-Doctoral Internship at Montefiore Medical Center (New York City)
- Contact: Alec Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org or (718) 920-7666.
- Pre-Doctoral Internship at the New York Presbyterian Hospital
- Contact: Dr. John Clarkin (914) 997-5911
- Contact: Dr. Christine Foertsch (914) 997-4359
- Pre-Doctoral Internship at the Connecticut Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services
- Contact: David Zita at email@example.com
- Pre-Doctoral Internship at Tewsbury Hospital (Tewksbury, MA)
- Contact: Dr. Chris Huvos (978) 851-7321 (ask operator to connect)