Hi, I’m John Paul. I’m a student assistant to the CSS department, and I’ve been assigned to assist Josh on this project.
It took me a couple days to get up to speed on the project, but things are improving, and I’ve made some great progress. My first task was to figure out how RC signal works. I found that it sends a pulse between 1 millisecond and 2 milliseconds, with 1.5 ms being ‘neutral’.
Next, I went through each of the receiver’s channels to figure out which channel corresponded to each RC controller’s input. On a side note, the RC controller’s name is Bob, and the list of inputs-to-channels can be found in the Google Drive folder that is linked at the bottom of the post, along with some other pictures and notes.
I then proceeded to learn more on how to program Arduinos and to begin to have our arduino handle all of the receiver output. Hopefully, by doing it this way, it will be easier to have the RC controller and the self-guide system not interfere with each other, or, what I’m thinking will probably happen for now, is to have the RC controller be able to override the self-guide system for safety’s sake.
Along the way, I helped Josh wire up the controller to the motor, and test the controller for proper responses. I also hacked together a braking rig for temporary use until we can get some pulleys.
Josh had a breadboard to use for some of the wiring, so I’ve found that using it helps a lot with attaching all of the servos and such. I found that the servo actually can power the breadboard and through that can power the other components.
In order to start mounting the components to the trike, I had a wooden frame built that can rest on the rear rack and secured as needed.
I have temporary code that I use to test the outputs and that can also be found in the Drive folder as RC translator. I also included some comments in the code that explain which pins the arduino uses for interrupts. More details about interrupts or other arduino functions can be found on the official website.
There are a couple things left to do before we can actually take it out and test it. We have to mount a servo to be used to steer the trike (kind of important); program the arduino to use both the servo brake and the motor brake simultaneously (this could prove to be a challenge); and figure out how the controller does reversing, and make sure that the arduino doesn’t try to reverse while moving forward and kill our motor.