Katie S: Skills Gained and Values Learned – An Intern’s Introspection

Skills Gained and Values Learned – An Intern’s Introspection

By Katie S.

This summer I completed an internship with Public Health – Seattle & King County within their Communication’s division. I know. It’s a mouthful. But, as I leave this organization and these wonderful group of people, everyone keeps asking: What’s next? The short answer: I don’t know and that’s okay. This internship may not have given me an epiphany as to what I want my future career to be, but it helped me better understand how I function in a workplace and some values that are important to me at this stage in my career.

Katie S. at her summer internship.

Skills Gained

Throughout school, I have pushed myself and developed skills that helped me be successful in my internship, like time-management, organization, prioritization of tasks, written communication, etc. These are skills I have developed over years and am still continuing to work on them. I always thought they were a necessity to have in school and didn’t think anything more of them; I used these skills to succeed. What I found out through my internship is that I thoroughly enjoy having multiple projects on my desk. I love having variety in my work and being responsible for multiple things. This is one way in which I try to push myself and be able to get involved in a variety of projects.

Values Learned

Though the exposure to my coworkers and their dynamics, I identified some workplace dynamics I would like to find in future workplaces. Everyone in Communications is committed to the relationships built within their group, which then strengthens their work as a team. All of them are very open to improvements, and they trust each other to develop and grow. I think this is the type of work environment that I would want to be a part of one day. I would love to work with some of my closest friends and develop positive relationship with my coworkers.

An example of one of Katie’s internship projects, a heat safety comic book.

Career Epiphany or Ongoing Process?

Figuring out my potential career is an ongoing process. It will change as i grow and learn more about myself. In my internship, I definitely gained respect for the Public Information Officers in Public Health, and now I think I want my future work to be more community-focused and interactive. At this point, I’m not exactly sure what my future will look like, but if I stay true to myself and continue to grow, I’m confident that I will figure it out.

I am very glad I took this internship with Public Health – Seattle & King County. I developed many skills and created relationships with many people who are supportive and see a bright future for me. I am grateful to have a supervisor who was so focused on my professional development and who wanted to make my summer memorable, which she did. Now, I leave my internship with more insight into my future career and I gained skills and experiences that will help me launch forwards.