Jueun O: About my Safety Internship

About my Safety Internship

By Jueun O.

In front of my desk at WA L&I

This summer, I have been working as an intern at the Department of Labor & Industries (L&I). The Washington Industrial Safety and Health Act is administered by its Division of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH). The purpose of this law is to ensure that Washington’s employers provide their workers with safe and healthy workplaces. L&I’s Division of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH) has Compliance Safety and Health Officers (CSHOs), who conduct inspections to help ensure that employers comply with workplace safety and health rules.  My job as an intern is to assist inspectors with opening and closing conferences, conducting employee interviews, sampling, identifying, and evaluating hazards.  Here in the Region 3 Tacoma office, we have 5 industrial hygienists and 7 safety inspectors. The safety inspectors are those who have specialized in physical hazards or procedural problems such as inadequate machine guards, stair railings, or equipment lockout procedures. Industrial hygienists are those who specialize in occupational health hazards, such as chemical vapors, asbestos, respirator issues, and noise. During these past ten weeks, I have accompanied Region 3 DOSH staff, including industrial hygienists and safety specialists, on field visits to discover any potential hazards within the work-place. I think that this internship is a good opportunity for students who major in environmental health because this position is closely related to the area of studies that we learned in our classes. Through this internship, I was able to learn about numerous sampling techniques, hazardous chemicals used in specific work places, and the skills, knowledge, and abilities necessary to ensure workplace safety.

What I enjoyed most about my internship is being able to complete each assignment in a unique way and having the opportunity to help people keep safe and satisfied with their work environments. I have participated in 8 compliance inspections and 2 samplings so far. It has been a great learning experience to actually put what I learned in class into practical and realistic applications! Working with a variety of different people has given me an opportunity to reflect about how I want to work in the future, which made this internship very helpful for me.