Featured post

Welcome to CEE!

This blog is intended for students who have been admitted to the Civil & Environmental Engineering graduate program.  We will address some of the most common questions here, and will be adding updates during the next few months.

You can choose to subscribe to receive email notifications when new posts are made.

Melissa Pritchard
Graduate Program Advisor
Civil & Environmental Engineering
University of Washington
Jennifer Ross
Graduate Program Advisor
Civil & Environmental Engineering
University of Washington

Housing Resources for Graduate Students

Visit the UW Housing and Food Services website (link below) for information regarding on-campus housing options. There is also a link provided to find a roommate.


UW Greek Life

Explore Fraternity and Sorority life at the UW.

Other UW Housing Resources

The Daily

Classified listings from the UW student newspaper.

Continue reading

Setting Up Your UW NetID and UW Email

Within 24 hours after your enrollment deposit has been received and processed by the university, you will find your PAC (Private Access Code) on the status page of your application. You will use the PAC to set up your UW NetID. There will be a link on your status page to the site to set up your UW NetID.

If you encounter problems setting up your UW NetID, please contact UW IT at help@uw.edu.



Other Cost Estimates (living expenses, book, etc.) for the 2017-2018 Academic Year

Below are estimated costs for living expenses from the Graduate School website (not counting tuition/course fees or student fees). Note: Health Insurance will be provided if you are an RA/TA or on a fellowship through the UW payroll system and receiving a stipend of at least $800/month.

Expenses Academic Year (9 Months) Calendar Year (12 Months)
Health Insurance (required) $1,240.00 $1,550.00
Room and Board $14,625.00 $19,500.00
Books and Supplies $825.00 $1,100.00
Local Transportation $1,296.00 $1,728.00
Personal Expenses $2,265.00 $3,020.00
TOTAL (U.S. dollars) $20,251.00 $26,898.00


RA/TA Information

If you have been offered, and accepted, a Research or Teaching Assistantship position, you will receive more information and employment forms from our Payroll Coordinator in early September, so he can get you set up in the payroll system. You will be sent a job description prior to starting your appointment.


PhD Student Info

If you’ve been admitted to the PhD program, you can find information regarding the PhD program, as well as the requirements and procedures forms on our website at:


PhD students do not have a required curriculum. You will work with your faculty advisor to arrive at a course plan. Your advisor will likely have suggestions for classes you should take that are important for your research. Students can take classes in the department, as well as outside CEE. We encourage PhD students to be interdisciplinary in their studies.



Registration forms for Non-Thesis Master’s Students

Updated registration forms for Autumn quarter have been sent out. Note: This post is for students in the Non-Thesis Master’s program (except for Construction Engineering students – you will register through MyUW, you will not receive a registration form).

If you have not received the registration form, please check your spam folder. If you still did not receive the form, please let Jennifer Ross know at ceginfo@uw.edu.

Students have been asking about when payment of course fees are due. Course fee payments are due at the time of registration. So if you are waiting to register, I would register for your classes sooner rather than later. We try to accommodate student’s class choices but we can’t always predict the popularity of a class. We also can’t predict the number of students that are outside of the department who may be interested in our courses.

Measles Immunization Requirement

All matriculated UW Seattle campus students are required to provide proof of measles immunity. A registration hold will be put on your account until this requirement has been satisfied. If you are a continuing UW student, you do not need to provide this again.

For more information on how to prove the measles immunity, you can visit the Hall Health website here:

Please note that the immunity verification instructions have recently changed, and the updated instructions can be found at the Hall Health website link above (you will need a working UW Email address to complete the verification process).

Contact the Hall Health Center if you have questions about the verification process or whether or not they have received your immunization certificate form. The UW Measles Requirement hotline telephone number is 206-616-4672, or you may email them at measles@uw.edu


Enrollment Confirmation Deposit

All students who have accepted their offer of admission will be required to pay the $250 enrollment confirmation deposit at the time they accept the offer. The deposit will be credited to your student account at the beginning of the quarter after you enroll.

Please note that this is not refundable and not transferrable to another quarter.

Melissa & Jennifer

International Student I-20 Request Form and Financial Ability Requirement

If you are an international student and you have accepted your offer of admission, your next step is to fill out your I-20 request form. You will need to log back into your application and download the I-20 request form from your application status screen. It should include instructions on how to fill out the form as well as what documentation is needed to prove your financial ability. If you have accepted an RA/TA or fellowship that provides a tuition waiver, monthly stipend and benefits, the CEE Advising Office has notified the Graduate School of your funding.

If you have any questions about the I-20 form or acceptable documentation to prove your financial ability, you should direct them to the Graduate School at uwgrad@uw.edu or you may call them at 206-543-5900.

The average living expenses for the 2017-2018 academic year can be found on the graduate school’s website at:


This will help you calculate the financial ability requirement which is needed for the I-20 request form.

Registration Requirements for RA/TA’s

Just a reminder, as your RA or TA offer letter should have stated, you will need to be registered for a minimum of 10 credits (which is considered full-time for a graduate student) during Autumn, Winter and Spring quarters in order to be eligible for your RA/TA appointment. Summer quarter only 2 credits are required.