Today, the most illustrious of all days, UW-IT staff explored new technologies, concepts, and ideas that they’ve been meaning to do but were always delayed due to more pressing matters, operational concerns, or priorities.
I decided to explore Ruby and how it interacted with our Uniform Access systems. Coming from a Perl and PHP background, I’ve been slowly poking away at Ruby for a couple of years now, but never have really found the time to use it in much depth on the systems that I support.
Since we’re planning a server refresh and are greatly improving software versions installed on the web publishing clusters, I took the opportunity and tested out Octopress, RVM, and other similar tools on one of the new Ovids we’re testing internally. Everything went relatively smoothly, and I’d consider the day a success.