Before delving into the case you may find it useful to read more about the following terms:
While reading the case consider the following:
- Imagine empathizing with each stakeholder. Consider their different or shared beliefs, emotions, and values.
- Can you frame 1-2 ethical issues that arise in this case in a single sentence? For example, you might find that one professional obligation (e.g. benefiting the patient from a medical perspective) seems to conflict with another (e.g. respecting the patient’s autonomy).
If you are interested in further reading:
- Segal, TY. Adolescence: what the cystic fibrosis team needs to know. Journal of the Royal Society of Med 2008:101:S15-S27.
- UpToDate: Cystic Fibrosis: Overview of the treatment of lung disease [UpToDate is a database available through the UW library website]
- Eakin MN et al.Longitudinal association between medication adherence and lung health in people with cystic fibrosis. Journal of Cystic Fibrosis 10, 258-264, 2011. See especially the discussion section.
- Withers, AL. Review Article: Management Issues for Adolescents with Cystic Fibrosis. Pulmonary Medicine. 2012. doi:10.1155/2012/134132