Blog Entry 1

August 21, 2017. Blog by Pearle Maki, Biology major, From Andes to Amazon: Biodiversity, Conservation and Sustainability in Peru.

Hey everyone!

So, I leave for Cusco, Peru in 2 days, and I will be there for a month staying at biological stations and studying biodiversity in one of the most biodiverse places on earth! I chose this program because it sounded like an amazing opportunity for me to get out of my comfort zone and try new things learning about one of my favorite topics!

I am very excited that I could have this opportunity to study abroad in Peru. I am also a bit nervous and anxious about leaving. I am anxious because I know little to no Spanish, but I know that I will be able to get around ok because my traveling partner knows a little. I know it will be a lot of fun, but I have not been away from my friends and family for that long. And we will have very little availability for contacting them once the program starts. It will be nice to be away from technology, and my friends and family have been really supportive of me going!

Anyway! Packing has been a lengthy process for me. We got the list of our essentials (including sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and tent, among other things) in the beginning of June and I have been slowing chipping away at everything we need and I think I finally have it all! Now I have to try to make it all fit in my duffle! I spent a Sunday at the beginning of August trying to fit everything in 2 backpacking packs, but it literally took me all day and I still couldn’t fit it all in. I resorted to a duffle bag because it can fit more, and it is way easier to find stuff in! Now if only I could fit Riley in too (The chocolate lab on the bed). I will miss her and her sister very much when I am gone too.

I made a few additions to the packing list because I am not sure what is available down there, and we will be spending 10 days camping in Manu National Park, so I would like to be prepared if I need to be! I made sure to bring melatonin, earplugs (I am a light sleeper), cold medicine, Benadryl/Calamine/Tea tree oil (for all the bug bites), Neosporin, toilet paper (herd this from another student), Pepto-Bismol. Those were the last few things I added in addition to Advil, and my normal prescriptions.

I will be heading out this week, and I will not be able to blog while I am there, but I will when I get back in about a month. So, stay tuned, and wish me luck!

-P