August 31- September 4, 2017

Giant River Otter saying Hello!

Over the next few days we continued to learn more basics about our surroundings. We learned the dominant plant and insect families because they are both very important, and very abundant, in the amazon rainforest. They are equally as important for the ecosystems because they are the primary producers and primary consumers for the rest of the ecosystem. We also continued to explore the environment we were living in through nature walks or through canoeing in the mornings. The giant river otters came to investigate our canoes one morning!

Releasing my first bird

Later in the week we started discussing research techniques for ecology. One that was very important to me was mist netting because we were in the bird research group. We learned how to set up mist nets to capture birds and I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked doing it and I liked seeing the birds up close to take measurements and pictures. I would not have considered myself a bird person before this trip because I had no background with it, but they were starting to grow on me. We got further into our research project and our group got to start handling the birds a bit more and that was fun, but bird research is an early task! Birds are most active in the mornings, so we went to open mist nets at dawn every morning.

I was starting to get used to CC life, and I was really enjoying my time there. I was surprised my back wasn’t hurting from sleeping on my sleeping pad for so long, but it continued to be fine the rest of the trip as well. I was also getting used to the heat, and sweating in full length cloths all day. It wasn’t bad because everyone could relate to what you were experiencing. Once you started to relax about the atmosphere you were able to enjoy it much more. You could appreciate all the life around you and listen to all the sounds of the jungle. My favorite part was waking up in the dark mornings and listening to all the sounds. You would hear howler monkeys, birds, and a lot of bugs, but they all played together into this indescribable symphony. That is what I will miss the most now that I am home. The sounds were unlike anything I have ever heard before, it was incredible.

Band Tailed Manakin