September 5- September 9, 2017

Just a little rain

We had a rain and thunderstorm on the 5th. It was our first and only rain that we had, but boy; it rained hard when it did. We had started mist netting that morning, but had to close the mist nets and run back to the station when it started down pouring. The soil is so bad that the station flooded within the first few hours of rain (and it continued to rain intensely until late afternoon). It was fun to experience the rain, but I am glad that was not happening for most of our trip.

We finished up our bird research in the next few days, and then it was already time to leave CC. It went by really fast and I had gotten so comfortable with the atmosphere. It was really nothing like I was expecting. I was expecting every other plant and insect to be poisonous and most things could kill you, but it really wasn’t like that at all. I felt very at ease on my last days at CC.

sunrise on Manu River

We went on a night walk to the beach one of the last nights, and it was fun! It surprisingly wasn’t scary to wander around in the dark in the amazon. I felt curious and excited even though we had to get up early the next morning. I will most likely not go to CC again in my life, so I wanted to make the most of it. We saw lots of frogs, and moths, and insects like spiders and cicadas. Fun fact: Spiders eyes reflect light. So when you have your headlamp on at night, and you’re just walking through the woods, you can see a lot more eyes than you would expect. But again, it wasn’t frightening; it was just fun and exciting to see what was out there. Will definitely miss my time at CC!

We left CC and made our way to Villa Carmen Bio station. We got to sleep in beds for the first time in a while. I slept very well after a long day of traveling by boat and bus. It was still warm because we were in the amazon basin still, and I should have enjoyed it, because after Villa Carmen heat was not going to be an issue anymore!