a better fit

I’ve been thinking about buying a new car for mostly the wrong reasons.

Petty reason #1. My Civic has a terrible amount of road noise. Driving the local roads in Seattle, even at a paltry 25 mph, it’s like riding a coal mine cart in an Indiana Jones movie.

Petty reason #2. My Civic has a cassette radio and playing my tunes through my cassette adapter is, and always has been, like listening to a live recording on a cardboard speaker.

Petty reason #3. I love riding my bike with Elle, but I can’t get bike rack that fits through my apartment’s garage. I need a car that can effortlessly fit a big and small bike.

Petty reason #4. My Civic has a great turning radius and is small enough for city driving, but improving on both these dimensions would be even better for the narrow Seattle roads. It would open up a whole new world of parking opportunities!

Petty reason #5. My Civic is aging and approaching the high maintenance phase of its life. Who wants to spend time replacing a timing belt here, tires there as it slowly falls apart? Better to rid of it now and save that time for something more enjoyable, like eating cheap ethnic food on the Ave.

I suppose the only legitimate reason I have is that I feel surrounded by emblems of my broken marriage. I live with the car, the furniture, the bed, and the kitchenware of a failed 8 year relationship, and as shallow as it seems to gripe about things, it’s really hard to move on when I’m living and using things from my painful past. I don’t know how much that’s worth; I don’t think I could put a price on it. But surely a $150 monthly car payment is well below its value.

So what do I want? I’m looking at a Blackberry Pearl Honda Fit. They’re small, fuel economical, with extremely versatile space for people and things. I’m used to Hondas, their usability is one of the best in the car industry, and they’re pretty cheap. As much as I hate cars, I do spend a lot of time commuting back and forth to Kirkland, so why not have a nice, compact little car that can zip around those Lake Washington curves? The Fit wouldn’t be dramatically better than my ’02 Civic, but would be an incremental improvement, in a petty sort of way.