Piot: “Migration Stories: The US Visa Lottery and Global Citizenship”

Monday, October 29
3:30 pm
Denny 401

Dr. Charles Piot, (Duke University), discusses his research on Togolese who apply for the US Diversity Visa lottery. More Togolese per capita apply for the Green Card lottery than those from any other African country, with winners attempting to game the system by adding “spouses” and dependents to their dossiers. The US consulate in Lomé knows this gaming is going on and constructs ever-more elaborate tests to attempt to decipher the authenticity of winners’ marriages and job profiles – and of their moral worth as citizens – tests that immediately circulate to those on the street. This paper explores the cat-and-mouse game between street and embassy, situating it within the post-Cold War conjuncture – of ongoing crisis, of an eviscerated though-still-dictatorial state, of social death and the emptiness of citizenship under such conditions, of a sprawling transnational diaspora and the desires and longings it creates, of informationalism and its new technologies, of surveillance regimes and their travails. Piot suggest that the DV lottery constitutes a generative fantasy about exile and citizenship and global membership today.

Charles Piot is the Creed C. Black Associate Professor of Cultural Anthropology and African and African American Studies at Duke University.

6 thoughts on “Piot: “Migration Stories: The US Visa Lottery and Global Citizenship”

1. Hello would you mind letting me know which web host you’re working
    with? I’ve loaded your blog in 3 completely different browsers and I must say this blog loads a
    lot faster then most. Can you suggest a good hosting provider at a reasonable price?

Many thanks, I appreciate it!

2. Thanks a lot for providing individuals with an extremely spectacular opportunity to read in detail from here. It can be so brilliant and jam-packed with amusement for me and my office fellow workers to visit your blog at the very least thrice a week to learn the latest secrets you have got. And indeed, I’m also actually fulfilled with the brilliant points you give. Some 3 ideas in this article are in reality the most beneficial we’ve had.