Flores: “Salsa Power: The Politics in/of Latin Music of the 1960s”

Friday, November 30, 2012
4 pm
Comm 120

Flores (New York University) examines how the contagious musical and dance appeal of salsa tends to obscure its powerful political content and context. Even the pachanga and boogaloo crazes of the earlier and mid-60s, which appears to be no more than party exhortations and novelty tunes, were born of an intensely political reality and harbor an intrinsic call for social change and cultural affirmation. Later in the decade, in the sounds of Willie Colon, Ray Barretto and Eddie Palmieri, the political agenda became more explicit, accompanying as it did the militant movement of the Young Lords and revolutionary voices of the Nuyorican Poets. In his talk, Juan Flores fills in this context, by putting this vibrant stage in New York’s Latin music in its place in the broader story, and listening to what some of the classic salsa songs actually say across the political ages.

Flores flyer

7 thoughts on “Flores: “Salsa Power: The Politics in/of Latin Music of the 1960s”

1. Flores (New York University) examines how the contagious musical and dance appeal of salsa tends to obscure its powerful political content and context. Even the pachanga and boogaloo crazes of the earlier and mid-60s, which appears to be no more than party exhortations and novelty tunes, were born of an intensely political reality and harbor an intrinsic call for social change and cultural affirmation.

2. I really liked your article Tengo que decir que he leído muy interesado el artículo
    debido a que era una cosa que buscaba en internet pero aún no conseguía encontrar lo que buscaba

3. Greetings from Idaho! I’m bored to tears at work so I decided to browse your site on my iphone during lunch break. I love the information you present here and can’t wait to take
    a look when I get home. I’m shocked at how fast your blog loaded on my mobile .. I’m not even using WIFI, just
    3G .. Anyways, superb site!

4. Tengo que decir que he leído muy interesado el artículo
    debido a que era una cosa que buscaba en internet pero aún no conseguía encontrar lo que buscaba.

Muy interesante