Speed: “Indigenous Women Migrants and Human Rights in the Era of Neoliberal Multicriminalism”

Thursday, January 17, 2013
COMM 120
4:00-6:00 pm

Indigenous women who migrate to the United States suffer human rights violations at every step: in their homes, where violence and impunity compel them to migrate; as they cross the wide expanse of Mexico; and once they enter the United States, where they face new vulnerability to partners or strangers if they are undocumented and incarceration if they ask for asylum.

This is not what was supposed to happen. The multicultural reforms of the 1990s in various Latin American countries generated hope and unprecedented social mobilization for indigenous women seeking full access to their human rights. However, the promises of neoliberal multiculturalism never materialized. Indigenous people suffered all the damage of ruthless neoliberal economics, without the democratic politics, rights regimes, and rule of law it was supposed to bring with it. In their stead, there are illegal economies on a massive scale and increasingly authoritarian states militarizing to combat illegality, while corruptly participating in it to reap some profits. This talk takes indigenous women migrants’ oral histories as a point of departure for analyzing the larger structures of power that mark them for
violence and render their human rights all but non-existent in the violent era Speed calls “neoliberal multicriminalism.”

Shannon Speed is Associate Professor of Anthropology and the Director of Native American and Indigenous Studies (NAIS) at the University of Texas at Austin. Her research and teaching interests include indigenous politics, human rights, neoliberalism, gender, feminist theory, and activist research. She has published five books and edited volumes, including Dissident Women: Gender and Cultural Politics in Chiapas (2006), Rights in Rebellion: Human Rights and Indigenous Struggle in Chiapas (2007), and Human Rights in the Maya Region: Global Politics,Moral Engagements, and Cultural Contentions (2008).

Speed E-flyer

28 thoughts on “Speed: “Indigenous Women Migrants and Human Rights in the Era of Neoliberal Multicriminalism”

1. Hey! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any issues with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing several weeks of hard work due to no data backup. Do you have any methods to stop hackers?

2. Hey there! I know this is kinda off topic but I’d figured I’d ask. Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest writing a blog article or vice-versa? My website covers a lot of the same topics as yours and I believe we could greatly benefit from each other. If you are interested feel free to send me an email. I look forward to hearing from you! Terrific blog by the way!

3. Hey would you mind stating which blog platform you’re working with? I’m going to start my own blog in the near future but I’m having a difficult time choosing between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something completely unique. P.S Apologies for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

4. Hey there! I could have sworn I’ve been to this site before but after checking through some of the post I realized it’s new to me. Anyways, I’m definitely delighted I found it and I’ll be book-marking and checking back frequently!