Welcome to Week 3 of the CEE Racial Equity Habit Building Challenge! This week’s topic is The Media and Race. Please engage with some or all of the materials below, and consider meeting up with some friends to discuss!
- What and whom do your students see when they view representatives of your institution’s administration, faculty, and staff in person and in media or promotional materials?
- What is your institution doing to address systemic racism? What else should they be doing?
- What can you do to impact media and race at your institution?
Read and Watch:
- Dr. Bettina Love, TEDxUGA. Dr. Love explains how students steeped in hip-hop culture, often seen as deficient, actually bring the very characteristics deemed necessary for 21st-century success.
- FBE captures the reactions of a diverse range of Indigenous people to media depictions of Indigenous people, Columbus Day, and Indigenous identity.
- Higher Ed Perspective by Christiane Warren, Inside Higher Ed (June 9, 2020)