Looking for a class for Autumn 2015?
Graduate Seminar for Fall 2015 — ENGR 598: Preparing for Academic Careers in Engineering
- SLN: 14262
- Instructor: Eve Riskin, EE
- Credits: 1 credit (C/NC).
- Schedule: Will meet once/week Tuesdays 1:30-2:30 PM
- Location: EEB 003.
- Registration limited to 35 graduate students (only engineering and
This seminar will explore academic careers in engineering including what
graduate students should know as they contemplate their next career steps.
Invited speakers will share their own personal experiences. The entire
seminar is discussion-based.
Topics covered may include:
- Hiring criteria for faculty positions
- Building a successful application package
- Types of academic institutions: community colleges, R1, or 4-year colleges.
- How to negotiate two body problems.
- How to gain teaching experience.
- What to expect from the tenure process.