Read on to learn about the following available scholarships:
The American Railway Engineering and Maintenance-of-Way Association (AREMA) Educational Foundation is pleased to announce the availability of many Scholarships for the 2016-2017 academic year. This application form applies to all Scholarships offered by the AREMA Educational Foundation. By completion of this form, the Scholarship Review Committee will determine which Scholarship(s) the candidate qualifies for. Awards range from $1000 to $2500
Eligibility: Applicants must be enrolled as a student in a Graduate or Undergraduate program leading to a degree in Engineering or Engineering Technology in an accredited curriculum. The applicant must have at least a 2.00 GPA. You do not need to be specifically interested in railroads (see details below or on website) to apply.
Deadline for Applying: An original of below listed materials must be submitted in one envelope and postmarked to AREMA no later than December 11, 2015. Visit their website to learn more!
Application Process: To apply for one of the scholarships, the materials below must be sent to AREMA Educational Foundation Scholarship Review Committee, 4501 Forbes Boulevard, Suite 130, Lanham, MD 20706 USA. Please do NOT mail if you have already submitted an application via email. Please submit only one application in the following order:
- The completed application form
- A cover letter, not exceeding 350 words, in business format, giving reasons why the applicant believes he/she is deserving of an AREMA Educational Foundation Scholarship. The applicant should indicate areas of railroading which might be of particular interest (freight, signals and communication, computers, passenger and transit, bridges and structures, geotechnical, environment, rail construction, or other) and describe how his/her attributes relate to these areas.
- A resume which is comparable to that which would be prepared by a graduating senior who is seeking professional employment. The resume should contain personal data, work experience, education information, and any other information they feel appropriate.
- Two letters of recommendation. One must be from a faculty member, and the other may be from another faculty member, present or former employer, AREMA member, or other responsible person. Letters of recommendation will be confirmed prior to award of scholarship. For confirmation purposes, a phone number and email address of signer must be included with each letter or recommendation.
- Transcript(s) from the school(s) attended, which includes college level work completed at lest through Spring or Summer Term 2015, plus courses currently enrolled in for Fall Term 2015. Printed computer or Internet copies of transcript(s) will be accepted. Transcripts will be confirmed with school(s) prior to award of scholarship.
- Application packets are to be stapled once in the upper left hand corner
- Photos are not permitted
- Submission of extra materials beyond what is requested may be cause for disqualification of applicant
Evaluation and Notification: A scholarship committee appointed by AREMA Committee 24 – Education and Training, will base its evaluation for awards on material submitted. Successful applicants will be informed of awards in February 2016.