The Washington State Department of Transportation is looking for a dynamic individual who is interested in playing a key partnership and leadership role in implementing the Sound Transit program within highway right of way, which will transform mass transit within the Puget Sound region. As the Sound Transit Engineering Manager you will be responsible for working with Sound Transit on the design and construction of Sound Transit’s Lynnwood Link and Federal Way Extension projects, construction of East Link projects, and other Sound Transit projects within WSDOT right of way. It is an extraordinary opportunity to work within this program on design bid-build, design build and GCCM project delivery frameworks.
This position will ensure that Sound Transit’s Lynnwood Link, Federal Way Extension, and East Link projects are successfully constructed without adversely impacting WSDOT’s facilities or operations. You will be responsible for maintaining, establishing and implementing policies that ensure efficient delivery of Sound Transit projects in order to meet service schedules and goals. Finally, you will represent WSDOT on Sound Transit matters within King and Snohomish counties, including federal, state, local agencies, transit and private citizen forums.
This project position is located in downtown Seattle and is scheduled to last through June 30, 2023.
- Working Title: Sound Transit Engineering Manager – Project Position
- DOP Classification: WMS 3
- Recruitment Number: 2016-WMS-097
- Location: Seattle, WA
- Salary: $7,439.00 – $9,537.00 Monthly
$89,268.00 – $114,444.00 Annually
- Opening Date: October 6, 2016
- Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This position will perform the following work:
- Represent WSDOT business, maintenance, landscaping, operation, traffic and legal interest for Lynnwood Link, Federal Way Extension, East Link and other Sound Transit projects.
- Integrate highway interests, including maintenance, civil, structural, traffic and safety within WSDOT right-of-way.
- Plan, lead, strategize and control WSDOT’s partnership role on contracts administered by Sound Transit.
- Champion internal and external communications between Sound Transit and WSDOT, including the executive level elevating issues as necessary.
- Provide strategic leadership for all Project Development/Design & Construction Engineering activities for Sound Transit projects.
- Develop and implement delivery strategies, including making staffing recommendations to Sound Transit and WSDOT to ensure schedules are maintained.
- Develop strategies and coordinate with Public Transportation and the Attorney Generals’ office in developing and reviewing legal documents.
- Be an outspoken advocate for developing and implementing safety strategies for the State and contractor workforce.
- Take responsibility for strategies to address design and construction related issues including collaborating with the public, contractor, county, cities, tribal entities and State and Federal Contract Permitting Agencies.
- Represent WSDOT in public forums, including various local agency and community committees, meetings, task forces, City Councils and other citizen groups.
An ideal candidate for this position will have:
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management, Business or Public Administration.
- A Professional Engineering License.
- 10 years’ experience in construction and design of highway or other complex transportation projects.
- Capability of providing innovative and highly effective solutions in technically complex situations.
- Excellent management skills being able to communicate and lead a variety of individuals.
- A proven track record of partnering across diverse business lines to successfully deliver projects.
- Strong diverse knowledge of civil engineering with strong working knowledge of roadway structure, real estate services, floating bridges, pavement, stormwater, highway construction and traffic engineering.
- Extensive knowledge of developing complex highway construction projects, NEPA, SEPA and permitting requirements.
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please click on this link to apply. To be considered for this position you will need to answer the supplemental questions. The responses to the Supplemental Questions must be reflected in the “work experience” of the application. Be prepared to provide references at the time of interview.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Fereti Sa’au at 206-440-4068 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference recruitment number 2016-WMS-097.