SDOT has a great opportunity for three student internship positions within the Project Design and Delivery Team. Students will learn how to design, PM and implement quick turnaround transportation improvement projects. Projects range from light civil, signal, and channelization work for pedestrian, bicycle, and transit projects.
Candidates will be provided with increasingly responsible tasks in the planning, design, and implementation of transportation projects. Students will gain experience in using field survey equipment to gather data, use software in a professional environment, completing designs that will be used by crews or contractors for installation; applying written communication skills with a variety of staff within the organization.
- Gather / compile data & technical information from various sources using a variety of methods and processes; prepare a variety of summaries and reports. Survey & photograph existing conditions.
- Assists in the planning, development, justification and implementation of traffic safety, bicycle and pedestrian projects.
- Assist with maintaining information on SDOT assets (signs, markings, sidewalks, etc.) in databases. Field verifies asset for completeness & accuracy. Maintain & organize files and photos.
- Prepare drawings from surveyed info that was gathered in AutoCAD for various SDOT traffic projects, assist in preparation of work orders to crews for implementing the projects.
Open to students majoring in civil engineering. Students must be enrolled in an accredited educational program and maintain a 2.5 GPA or above throughout the internship.
- Working knowledge of engineering design and drafting tools, such as AutoCAD.
- Strong analytical, organization, and communication skills; working knowledge of standard office software.
- Attention to detail.
- Basic knowledge of transportation systems and facilities.
- Desired candidate will have AutoCAD and survey experience.
- Adobe Creative Suite or graphic design.