Washington State Cannabis News

By Jason Liu, second-year stu­dent at the Uni­ver­sity of Wash­ing­ton School of Law. 

MJ WASH

Here are some recent events happening in Washington State:

Increased Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board Pesticide Investigations

As the Stranger reported, two of Washington’s largest cannabis producers were barred from all sales pending a Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board (WSLCB) investigation.  The article details the investigation of New Leaf Enterprises and BMF Washington, LLC for the illegal use of pesticides.

The Stranger requested WSLCB documents through public records requests. The following documents published were:

As the Department of Health is gearing up to release the proposed rules for cannabis products this July, these investigations are signals to Washington State producers that the WSLCB makes pesticide compliance a priority.

New Bill that Proposes Home Cultivation of Cannabis 

House Bill 2629, was introduced in Washington’s House of Representatives to legalize the cultivation of a maximum of six cannabis plants for residents 21 and older. These “home” cultivators may possess up to 24 ounces from the plants.

Originally, in I-502, the bill drafter Allison Holcomb, noted that leaving out home cultivation was meant to minimize the possibility of federal intervention.

Currently, Colorado, Oregon, and Washington D.C. have laws that allow home cultivation. So far, there haven’t been prosecutorial interests by the federal government on these programs. If HB 2629 passes, it will place Washington State in line with the other home cultivation states and provide residents more options for cannabis use.

Washington State Hemp Bill Moving Forward

Senate Bill 6206 proposes the legalization of hemp.  The bill would empower the Washington State Department of Agriculture (WSDA) with authority to license hemp farmers, control seed supplies, and enforce restrictions of low levels of THC in cultivated hemp.

Currently, the bill passed the third reading in the Washington State Senate, and is being reviewed by the House committee of Commerce & Gaming.

1 thought on “Washington State Cannabis News

1. Ardelia Markee

I truly appreciated your report and anticipate more enlightening posts. I’m sharing this with my college students and I’m positive they will likely appreciate it around I did so. I go along with most of whatever you say and that i will tell you the feedback from the other folks during my school. Many thanks.

Reply