First, you have to download and install Windows Media Encoder. Then go into your Windows Firewall and check the box next to Media Encoder to allow people to connect to your computer as a media server.
Broadcasting Video using Windows Media Encoder
- Open Windows Media Encoder on your PC: Click Start / All Programs / Media / Windows Media Encoder / Windows Media Encoder.
- Double-click ‘Broadcast a live event’.
- Hopefully the defaults are fine. You might need to change the audio and video drop downs to be your webcam or capture card. Click Next.
- Make sure the ‘Pull from the encoder’ radio button is selected. Click Next.
- Make sure ‘HTTP port’ is ‘8080’ Click Next. (you can choose another port, just substitute it in the link below)
- Select the Bit Rate. If many parties are going to connect, or any parties have a slow connection use a lower bit rate. Click Next.
- Set archive settings if you want to save a copy, otherwise click Next.
- Make sure the ‘No, I want to encode…’ radio is selected. Click Next.
- Click Next, then Finish.
Receiving the Broadcast on a client PC
- Open Windows Media Player
- Right click the Title Bar
- Click File / Open URL
- Enter: http://mediaserveripaddress:8080/ For example: http://192.168.1.20:8080/.