Meet Our Interns: Kayla C.

About My Internship at UW’s Department of Environmental Health and Safety

By Kayla Cayton

Kayla looks for confined spaces around the UW campus.

How I Found My Internship

I got my internship by cold-emailing. I was given my supervisor’s contact information and emailed her asking her about internships in her department. She replied and told be to come in for a chat about it, and she offered me a position on the spot! I was very lucky and I am very excited!

My Internship at UW EHS

I am completing my internship at UW Health and Safety. I will be working under the Assistant Director for Occupational Safety and Health, and be working closely with an Occupational Health and Safety Specialist. I assist with a few projects, but my primary focus will be revamping and updating their Confined Space Program. I am excited to work with my supervisor and other co-workers because they seem very knowledgeable and I think that I will learn a lot from them. I am a little nervous about starting because I do not have a lot of previous knowledge about Confined Spaces or program management, and I will have a lot to learn! However, I think I will have good guidance and with a little help from my coworkers, I will be fine.

My First Day

On my first day, I was a little overwhelmed. My supervisor and coworker were very helpful and explained things to me to give me a little bit of a foundation. We talked a lot about the goals for my internship, my tasks, and a determined a general plan of action. This was very helpful because it helped me visualize what I needed to do. I was excited to get started because my coworkers seemed excited to have me there to help them with their work.

About My Internship Project

My goal for this quarter is to update and improve the confined space program for UW. The regulations changed and therefore the whole program needs to be updated to remain in compliance. This requires updating all necessary forms, the written program, training materials, the website, as well as updating the inventory. My primary goal will be to update the paperwork and the written products first, and then the second half of my internship will be physically evaluating all spaces and updating the inventory with the new evaluations and requirements. I will be doing this with assistance and guidance from my team and I am looking forward to learning more!