Meet Our Interns: Eileen

About My Internship

By Eileen T.

My internship is with an organization called El Centro de la Raza, located in Beacon Hill. During my internship, I will spend the majority of time in Beacon Hill conducting field work and attending monthly meetings with the Beacon Hill Noise Team. I will also be in the UW Environmental Health department when I have weekly meetings with my supervisor.

I have many mentors for this internship. My primary supervisor is Dr. Seto, a professor at the UW, who teaches classes in the DEOHS. During my weekly meetings with Dr. Seto and my partner intern, he assigns us work and checks on the progress on our final project for the internship. Dr. Lorenzana is another mentor who is an adjunct professor at the university. We meet with her during monthly team meetings and she is in charge of sending our checks to us every two weeks. Joe Albert is a veteran volunteer of the project who taught my partner and I how to deploy monitors, enter data into the shared Google drive, and schedule set ups with the residents.

Phan and Eileen in Dr. Seto’s lab

The Beacon Hill Noise project’s goal is to minimize noise pollution in the Beacon Hill area from the planes flying from the SeaTac airport. Many residents have volunteered to host monitors that will capture noise made from the planes. My job as an intern is to schedule and deploy monitors at residents’ homes and analyze data. In addition, it is also my job to compile the data for each resident and send them a summarized report of the data collected from their home. I will also work on an individual project focusing on traffic noise data in the area.

I am most excited to learn about a community-led, grass-roots project and more about environmental justice problems. I was unaware of the noise pollution problem in the Beacon Hill area and it will be interesting to hear how it affects the residents. I think this project is interesting because the community is very involved in attending meetings and having input into the data collection. I would say I am most nervous about if the data collected will be sufficient for real change to occur.

I discovered this internship after I received an email from the department advertising about the opportunity. I sent in my resume and cover letter then was asked to meet for an interview. After I interviewed with Dr. Seto and learned more about the internship, I received an offer for the position.