How I Got My Internship by Sierra

Managing a job search was different than I thought in the sense that I found many different jobs but I was spent a lot of my time going through job descriptions to make sure that I was qualified. To stay organized, I created a spreadsheet to record when I applied and all of the important details that I didn’t want to forget. Doing this made managing my internship search easier.

The resources that I used were indeed.com and the list of internships on the department’s private website. These two places were where I did the majority of my internship searching. The weekly emails with current internship openings were very helpful as well. I ultimately found my internship from an email that Hayley, the Internship Manager, sent out with the attached forms to fill out for the position.

I didn’t expect to apply to as many internships as I eventually did. Some places I never heard back from, while others were very helpful in giving information about when I would hear back with their decisions. Doing a phone interview was not how I expected. They were very quick and mostly asked the same questions, as well as questions specific to the internship. One question that I would get very often was asking about how my course work in school was preparing me to do the duties that were outlined in the job description. Before each phone interview, I would look over their application description and qualifications. I would also make sure I was familiarized with the objectives of the company as a whole and their mission. I would have both in front of me while I was doing the interview, along with some possible question answers, just in case my mind drew a blank while on the phone. I would say a good tip is to try and take your time because I would get nervous and start talking quickly. To slow myself down or if I needed more time to think of an answer to a question, I would ask them to repeat their question or I would pause and take a deep breath to refocus my mind.

For future students, some things that may be helpful to know are to start applying earlier and know that there are many different internships out there and they will all become available at different times. I recommend going through your job searching resources regularly so that you don’t miss out on good opportunities because some hire interns quickly. I would highly recommend keeping a spreadsheet of the different places that you are intending to apply to and ones that you have already applied to.

Sierra observes a sewage system on a newly built single-family residence.

Overall, I had a positive experience with my internship search, and it prepared me for future searches and helped build my knowledge on what to expect with job interviews and application processes.