Toan: How I Got My Internship with Holland America

How I Got My Internship with Holland America

By Toan N.

My name is Toan and I will be a fourth-year student in the environmental health major this upcoming Fall quarter. As of right now, I am interning for Holland America Line at the Seattle location. My team consist of four people: the Safety Operation director, Safety Operation Specialists, and the Occupational Health Manager. Most of my work revolves around helping the Safety Managers and the Occupational Health Manager to maintain fleet safety on subjects such as ship mechanics, noise conservation, the supply chain for the ships. I am very excited to learn about the Risk Assessments and LOTO procedures for maritime work. I am most nervous about the corporate work life. I do not yet know about things such as work culture and office politics.

I got my internship by applying to a lot of available internships in Seattle. I heard back from Holland America Line, and they asked me to submit an online video interview. By June I received an email from them that they wanted me to be their team’s intern.