New CIC AD Introduction

Hello! I’m Sara Lovett, the new CIC/182 AD starting this quarter and continuing through next winter. Sumyat has completed her term as the CIC AD, and she is teaching this quarter, so you can contact me with any 182/CIC concerns.

Any class can be multimodal and/or make use of technology, so even if you’re not teaching in a CIC classroom this quarter, please get in touch if you’d like to talk about how to engage with multimodality through your teaching. I am also now your primary contact (slovett@uw.edu) if you would like to reserve a CIC classroom.

My own interest in multimodality is rooted in in game studies and my experience as a board gamer. I’m the Graduate Representative for the Council for Play and Gaming Studies, a cross-institutional group of writing instructors who research and teach through and about games. I’m more than happy to talk about teaching with games. In fact, EWP and the UW Libraries are running a workshop on Friday, April 5 in Red C in the Research Commons (Allen Library) to discuss how to teach using the board games that the library has on reserve. Don’t let this shameless plug be go to waste–come talk about games with us on Friday!

In addition to game studies, I focus on the role of access, social justice, and civic engagement in writing education through the lens of antiracist pedagogy. I’m happy to talk about any of those topics too if they are of interest to you.

Keep an eye on this blog; I’ll be posting periodically throughout my time as the CIC AD. In the meantime, reach out–I always love talking about teaching!