Student Affairs Resource Website

March 15, 2017

Seattle-based Resources for Clerkship Students

UW School of Medicine Location:

The administration buildings for the School of Medicine are located in Suite A-300 in the Warren G. Magnuson Health Sciences Center (commonly called “Health Sciences Building”).

Maps of the interior of Health Sciences Building:

Search for study or food locations on UW campus:

School of Medicine Staff:

All clinical students are encouraged to stop by the School of Medicine when they are in Seattle to say hello to Seattle staff! Just check in at the A-300 Suite’s front desk.

The following list is not comprehensive, but are just some of the staff who are located in the Health Sciences Building, who students may need to contact in their Clinical Phase.

  • Academic Support:
    • Room: T-557
    • Jamey Cheek, Director, Academic Support
  • Career Advisor:
    • Room: T-557
    • Felicia Tripp, Career Advisor
  • Counseling and Wellness Services:
    • Rooms: AA-111
    • Joanne Estacio-Deckard, LICSW
    • Sheri Davis, LICSW
    • Cliff Kelly, MS, MDiv, LMHC
  • Curriculum:
    • Suite A-300
    • Michael Ryan, Associate Dean, Curriculum
    • Lucy Pick, Clinical Curriculum Specialist
  • Financial Aid:
    • Room: T-557
    • Diane Noecker, Director, Financial Aid Office
  • Registration & Scheduling:
    • Connie Lamb, Registrar
    • Tara Gates, Assistant Registrar
  • Student Affairs:
    • Anne Eacker, Associate Dean, Student Affairs
    • Sarah Wood, Associate Director, Clinical Phase

Full Seattle Staff Directory on Med Wiki:

UW Student ID – Husky Card:

The Husky Card is the official identification card for all members of the UW community. All Clerkship Phase students pay tuition (and thus the Services & Activity Fee) to the University of Washington, so therefore all Clerkship Phase students – regardless of which rotation they are on and regardless of the clinic or hospital they are working in – can obtain a Husky Card. Click here to learn more about what the Husky Card can be used for.

Two of the most popular uses of your Husky Card are: 1) U-PASS (bus pass) and 2) membership to the IMA (fitness center). Read below for more information on each of these.

Students are encouraged to get their Husky card form the Odegaard ID Center at any point upon arriving for clerkships. Students will need to bring a valid form of identification and know their student number. There will be no fee to receive a Husky card.

Husky Card Account & ID Center
Location (map)
Odegaard Undergraduate Library, ground floor
Phone: 206-543-7222
Office Hours: Monday–Friday, 8 am–5 pm
Husky Card Printing Hours: Monday–Friday, 8 am–4:45 pm


  • U-PASS:
    • Your Student Activities Fee, included in your UW tuition, covers the fee for the “U-PASS” which is automatically loaded onto your Husky Card (i.e. it is not a separate pass) and allows you to use, unlimitedly, the King County Metro, Link Light Rail, Sound Transit, and other forms of transportation around Seattle.
    • If a student does not use the card on a city bus within the first 60 days of the UW Academic Quarter (check quarter start-dates at this link), then they will need to call Transportation Services (206-221-3701) to have them activate the pass manually. Or the student can go to the U-PASS reactivation page at : to re-activate their pass. It will take 24-48 hours for the activation to “go live”.
    • U-PASS website:
  • King County Metro Transit (city bus system): 
    • OneBusAway (helpful phone app for live-time bus schedules & maps
    • Website:
  • Bike Commuting in Seattle: More information here
  • Health Sciences Express
    • If you find that you need to make your way between UW Medical Center, UW Roosevelt Clinic, and/or Harborview Medical Center (downtown), check out the Health Sciences Express shuttle website. The shuttle provides transportation Monday – Friday, from 6:00a.m. until 7:20p.m. The website will show you the route, stop locations, full schedule, and real-time bus locations. You can Get updates by texting uwhse # to 41411 where # is the stop number.
  • Still unsure about the best way for you to get to UW Campus? Visit this website to get free personalized support to help you find a commute that best fits your needs: Fill out the form, and a “Commute Concierge” will contact you.

Parking on UW Campus:

If students have a rotation at UW Medical Center (UWMC) and decide to commute by car, they should investigate in advance about how to park on campus. (If students bike, bus, or light rail to UWMC, parking is not an issue.)

The UW School of Medicine does not provide parking permits to students, including students in the Patient Care Phase. Students on a clerkship rotation at UWMC are not considered hospital employees, and will need to purchase student parking permits if they wish to park on campus.

Visit the following websites to learn about the types of parking permits you can purchase:

  • Daily, nightly, hourly permits- for students who drive in on rare occasions:
  • Quarter permits (either daytime or nighttime) – for students who drive in regularly:
    • The price for student parking permits vary depending on the number of school days into the quarter they are purchased.
    • Passes are always purchased as Quarter (10 week) passes. Your clerkship rotation (e.g. 6 weeks) will not always align with the UW academic quarters. Click here to look at a calendar of academic quarter dates. This means that you may end up paying for a permit that covers more days than you will actually need it for your rotation.
    • To purchase a quarterly student parking permit, go in person to Transportation Services with your Husky Card and vehicle registration.
    • Students will be assigned a permit to park in lot E18.
  • If you are on a night shift at the hospital (or start very early in the morning):
    • Work with your clerkship administrator and call Transportation Services (206-221-3701) to see if Transportation Services can give you a permit to park in a lot that is closer to the hospital. They work with students on a case-by-case basis and will try to make accommodations for your situation.
    • Learn about the Husky NightWalk program, a service of the UW Campus Police, in which a uniformed security guard will escort you to your car between 6:30p.m. to 2:00a.m. when you call 206.685.9255.

To familiarize yourself with where UW Medical Center and the many parking lots/garages on campus are located, go to

Intramural Activities Building (IMA): UW Campus Fitness Center

Fitness around Seattle:


  • Large grocery stores:
    • QFC (Quality Food Center)
    • Safeway
    • Fred Meyer (also a department store as well)
  • Farmers markets
  • Food Delivery:
    • Uber Eats: Enter your address and browse 100+ Seattle restaurants, get estimated delivery times, select all the items you want from a menu, have it delivered to your door via Uber (no delivery tip required)
  • Dining Out:
    • The easiest way to find a restaurant in Seattle is to search for restaurants in Google Maps and check out reviews on Google or Yelp.
    • If you are working at UWMC, there are ample restaurants on/near University Avenue (referred to as “The Ave”). Or the popular Agua Verde is located just behind UWMC.
  • Coffee:

Things to Do in Seattle:


TRACK Students can learn about housing reimbursements on this website.

There is no SOM student-dedicated housing in Seattle for non-TRACK students who are in Seattle for required clerkships. Students are encouraged to use the Auxiliary list-serves, Craigslist, airbnb, etc. to find their own housing. Another helpful site for exploring available sublets is:

If students are unfamiliar with the neighborhoods in Seattle, here is a list of popular neighborhoods that students live in:

North of UWMC:

  • University District
  • Ravenna
  • Green Lake
  • Wedgwood
  • Roosevelt
  • Maple Leaf

West of UWMC:

  • Wallingford
  • Fremont
  • Ballard

East of UWMC:

  • Sandpoint is the neighborhood near Seattle Children’s Hospital
  • Laurelhurst
  • Magnuson Park
  • Matthews Beach

South of UWMC:

  • Montlake
  • Capitol Hill
  • Eastlake
  • Central District
  • Because of the Link light rail station that runs south from UW Campus, students could live even further south if they are near a Link transit system. Neighborhoods would include: Rainier Beach,  Columbia City, and Beacon Hill