Skip to main content
Graduate Funding Information Service

September 23, 2020

NRC Research Associateship Programs

Application Deadline: November 1, 2020

  • For PhD students and postdoctoral and senior researchers in science and technology
  • Stipend ranges $45,000-$80,000 for recent doctoral recipients
  • Restricted to U.S. citizens and permanent residents

The NRC Research Associateship Programs (RAP) promote excellence in scientific and technological research conducted by the U.S. government through the administration of programs offering graduate, postdoctoral, and senior level research opportunities at sponsoring federal laboratories and affiliated institutions. In the NRC Research Associateship Programs, prospective applicants select a research project or projects from among a large group of Research Opportunities available through this website. Prior to completing an application, prospective applicants should contact the Research Adviser listed with the selected Research Opportunity(ies) to assure that funding will be available if the application is recommended by NRC Research Associateship Programs panels.

NRC Research Associates receive annual stipends ranging from $45,000 to $80,000 for recent doctoral recipients and are proportionally higher for Senior Associates. In addition, the NRC Research Associateship Programs provide health insurance, relocation benefits, and an allowance for professional travel. The host laboratory provides research facilities, equipment and funding for supplies to support the Associate’s research.

Awards are initially for 12 months with renewal for a second or third year determined by evaluation of the Associate’s progress, and the availability of funding; Senior awards may be for shorter periods. Summer Faculty awards are for 8-14 weeks, renewable for up to 3 successive summers. Research is conducted in collaboration with a Research Adviser who is a member of the senior professional staff at the laboratory. Research Advisers provide guidance, advice, and support for the Associate during their tenure.


Awards are available for scientists and engineers at all stages of their career. Applicants should hold, or anticipate receiving, an earned doctorate in science or engineering. Degrees from universities abroad should be equivalent in training and research experience to a degree from a U.S. institution. Many awards are open to foreign nationals as well as to U.S. citizens.

For the NRC Research Associate overview page, click here. To search for funding opportunities, click here. To apply for opportunities, click here.

%d bloggers like this: