Whiskey Bottle – Jim Beam

The coolest old bottle I have is a Jim Beam Whiskey Bottle.  I bought it at a yard sale.  Now I’m not much of a drinker, and I didn’t know what it was at the time, but it was gorgeous.  I had no idea that that Jim Beam had such an amazing history regarding its decanters; although they have been in business since 1795, in 1952 they started crafting a wide variety of specialty bottle for their whiskey.  There are literally thousands of variations, with a wide range of styles. There are fine gold-gilded crystal decanters, automobiles, animals, sports equipment, it seems that the company went out of its way to provide bottle in every shape and form known to mankind.  The result is a truly astounding body of corporate expression.

Jim Beam White Bottle

my bottle looks just like this, only red

Despite the extreme variety, temporal succession can actually be observed in the record by looking at the progression of similarly styled bottles.  Due to the high level of variation, an analysis of collectors edition, or annual releases,  like in these examples of crystal glass bottles ranging from 1964 to 1973 is the most effective means of observing any sort of meaningful change. (photos courtesy of the Jim Beam Club)

66crystalGlass     68crystalGlass       1973ambercrystal

Some other really great examples of Jim Beam bottlery can also be found in the pictorial index from the Jim Beam Club, they have some great examples of other series as well!

http://www.jimbeamclub.com/pictorials/jimbeam/index.html