Human Centered Design & Engineering

December 8, 2017

HCDE Network Night, sponsored by Boeing

2018 HCDE NETWORK NIGHT

Sponsored by Boeing

Monday, January 22, 2018
5 – 7: 30 p.m.
HUB 250

Save to your Calendar

HCDE students RSVP here by January 17, 2018 »

Calling all HCDE Students!

You are invited to join us for the 10th Annual HCDE Network Night, sponsored by Boeing (formerly HCDE Mentor Night). HCDE Network Night will feature the opportunity for current students to connect with departmental alumni and industry friends to discuss career paths and share tips for making a successful transition from UW to the working world. Refreshments will be provided.

Space is limited; RSVP soon.

AGENDA

5 p.m.
Networking Workshop: “Define your Pitch!” with UW Career Center

5:30 p.m.
Networking round-robin with students and mentors

MENTORS

Ona Anicello
UX Research Manager
Alaska Airlines
MS + UCD, 2013
Kendall Avery
UX Researcher
Concur
BS, 2016
Mike Berg
User Experience Researcher
Amazon
MS + UCD, 2009
William Bernhard
UX Manager
TUNE
Matthew Carthum
Product Design Manager
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts
MS, 2008
Paula Chuchro
Senior Program Manager
Microsoft
MS, 2017
Allie Deford
UX Researcher
User Research International
MS, 2016
Rebecca Destello
UX Researcher
Facebook
MS + UCD, 2011
Kelly Elston
Sr. UX Researcher
Providence St. Joseph Hospital
MS, 2014
Anastacia Jaime
UX Designer
Accenture
MS, 2017
Julie Li
Product designer II
Microsoft
MS, 2017
Gabrielle Mehlman
User Experience Designer
Deloitte Digital
MS, 2015
Ricki Mudd
User Experience Lead
Intel
MS, 2017
Frederick Park
Sr. UX Designer
Amazon
MS + UCD, 2012
Gordon Patterson
UX Designer II
Microsoft
MS, 2016
Kellie Rogers
Sr. UX Designer
Expedia
MS, 2015
Chris Rovillos
UX Designer
EnergySavvy
BS, 2014
Dan Rowland
User Experience Designer II
Expeditors
BS, 2016
Rohit Sharma
User Experience Designer
Deloitte Digital
MS, 2014
Matt Shobe
Chief Product Officer
Mighty AI
MS, 1996
Gail Thynes
UX Designer
Microsoft
BS, 2015
Darwin Witt
UX Designer
Fluke
MS, 2014
Dorothy Wong
UX Designer
Microsoft
MS, 2017
Yuan Zhuang
User Experience Researcher
Expedia Inc.
MS, 2017

MENTOR BIOS

Ona Anicello
UX Research Manager, Alaska Airlines
Ona Anicello has over 15 years of experience in managing and conducting user research, teaching user centered design, and organizing ux community events.Currently, she works at Alaska Airlines as a UX Research Manager building the first ever ux research department for the company and managing a team of researchers. Prior to that, she worked top tech companies, such as Facebook, Microsoft and Amazon.She is active in the community by organizing UX events and conferences as President of UXPA Seattle.
Kendall Avery
UX Researcher, Concur
I’m a UX Researcher in the UX Insights team at Concur, a team that’s comprised of UX research and analytics for our product. I began working at Concur as a UX Design intern in the summer of 2016 and moved into a full time role as a product manager at the end of my internship. After a year of PM experience, I transitioned back to UX to become a UX Researcher, where I focus on evaluating our products, understanding our vast user base, and collaborating with the design team to develop the best user experience.
William Bernhard
UX Manager, TUNE
William Bernhard has almost 20 years of experience and a proven success record designing for mobile devices and the web, focusing mainly on SaaS platforms. He has worked at a wide range of companies including Microsoft, T-Mobile, and TIBCO, among others. Currently he is a UX Manager at TUNE where he heads his team’s design efforts to reimagine the company’s HasOffers performance marketing platform, which is the largest of its kind in the world, servicing billions of clicks per month. He considers himself a data informed designer and works hard to ensure his work marries qualitative data and quantitative data with user needs and business goals.
Paula Chuchro
Senior Program Manager, Microsoft
I’ve been a PM at Microsoft for six years working on consumer facing user experiences. In that time I’ve worked on the first version of the Microsoft Edge browser, sharing features in Windows and I am now working on the next generation of Windows and multitasking experiences with the Surface hardware team.
Allie Deford
UX Researcher, User Research International
After graduating with an undergraduate degree in Computer Science, I decided to purse a career in UX. I started at User Researcher International, a UX research consultancy, as an intern during my second year of the HCDE master’s program. Upon graduation, I was offered a full time position with URI and have been in that role since then. In addition to my duties as a researcher, I have been given the opportunity to manage project involving multiple clients and other researchers on my team.
Rebecca Destello
UX Researcher, Facebook
Rebecca Destello is a UX Researcher at Facebook where she works on special projects aimed to improve the quality of experiences in Facebook’s products. Over the past 10 years, she’s led research for a wide variety of problem spaces, including healthcare, ecommerce, government, and startups.Rebecca also serves as an Affiliate Faculty member at the University of Washington’s Human Centered Design & Engineering (HCDE) department where she has been teaching graduate students in user-centered design, design thinking, usability testing, and web design since 2012.Rebecca received her Master’s Degree in Human Centered Design & Engineering (HCDE) at the University of Washington in 2011. Prior to that, she received a BA in Interdisciplinary Visual Arts, with a focus on design, printmaking, and art history, also from the University of Washington.
Kelly Elston
Sr. UX Researcher, Providence St. Joseph Hospital
I am leading the Digital Innovation Group for Providence St. Joseph as a Senior UX Researcher, and critical user insight leader. I began my career in psychology with a focus on human behavior. From college I was recruited into Microsoft to conduct usability testing. I quickly learned about the UX field and fell in love with it. I have a BA in Psychology and a Master’s of Science in Human Centered Design and Engineering both from the University of Washington.
mehlmanGabrielle Mehlman
User Experience Designer, Deloitte Digital
I am currently a UX Designer, though truly more of a generalist since if research is required for a client, we are typically the ones to do it. I love that about the position! I worked as a Mechanical Engineer before graduate school, and transitioned to UX through the HCDE program and internships at Amazon, Physio-Control and Anthro-tech. I love data visualization, design for healthcare, and outside of UX, all the outdoorsy things (particularly cycle-touring and backpacking), yoga and musicals!
Ricki Mudd
User Experience Lead, Intel
Ricki has a passion for human behavior and cognition and received her BS in Psychology from UW in 2013. Later on, she received her MS in HCDE from the UW in 2017 as a result of her passion for research and excitement for experience design. She hopes to utilize her understanding of people and love of research to create and improve products by incorporating user insights and needs. Ricki currently works as a User Experience Research Lead at Intel.
Frederick Park
Sr. UX Designer, Amazon
My current responsibility is to understand how UX can benefit service professionals. This involves working with pros who tackle household problems (plumbers/electricians,) understanding unique service requests (what challenges do goat herders face when customers rent animals to fix their lawn), and building a workforce of technicians to make homes ‘smart’ and voice controlled.
Gordon Patterson
UX Designer II, Microsoft
I have a love for UX and utilizing my knowledge of the user-centered design process to make a change in my community! I am a graduate of the University of Washington’s Human Centered Design & Engineering MS program (2016) and I am a UX designer at Microsoft, working directly on the Bing Ads UX team to provide better experiences for our advertisers worldwide.
Dan Rowland
User Experience Designer II, Expeditors
Daniel made the transition from a military career as a submarine sonar technician in the US Navy to a civilian career in UX design. He graduated with a BS in HCDE (HCI) from the UW in June of 2016 and began his current role at Expeditors in early 2017. He has since had the opportunity to operate in both design and research capacities and has participated in the hiring committee for another UX Designer.
Rohit Sharma
User Experience Designer, Deloitte Digital
I am a UX designer at Deloitte Digital, a design consultancy firm, where I work with clients on designing digital solutions to tricky business problems. Prior to joining Deloitte Digital in 2015, I worked as a Program Manager at Microsoft for nine years, first managing a software quality initiative at Microsoft Office, and then managing advertising campaigns across Windows, Xbox, and Microsoft Online. I received his Master of Science in HCDE at UW in 2014.
Matt Shobe
Chief Product Officer, Mighty AI
I lead product strategy for Mighty AI – we help automakers and suppliers get the data they need to use computer vision to power self-driving vehicles. I’ve worked in startups for the balance of my professional career, primarily in design but playing every role but CFO. (You do not want me as your CFO.)
Gail Thynes
UX Designer, Microsoft
UX Designer on the Microsoft enterprise cloud team. Partnering with UX research, PM, and Engineering to deliver excellent user experiences for IT pros, consumers, and developers in the field of identity and access management. My work focuses on risk mitigation and security management experiences. I graduated from HCDE in 2015 and subsequently became a contractor on this team prior to converting to fill time.
Darwin Witt
UX Designer, Fluke
I am a User Researcher and UX Designer at Fluke, specializing in industrial tools and software to improve technician workflows. My work is split between contextual inquiries in specialized industrial spaces and designing hardware UI and software for future test and measurement tools.
Dorothy Wong
UX Designer, Microsoft
Dorothy recently joined Microsoft as a UX Designer after receiving a M.S. degree in Human Centered Design & Engineering at the University of Washington. She has prior experience as a UX design freelancer, project management, and business strategy in various industries. Her passion project includes developing and improving a multi-award winning social robot with a talented team of fellow MSHCDE grads.
Yuan Zhuang
User Experience Researcher, Expedia Inc.
At Expedia, I plan and execute studies to understand travel shoppers’ needs and collaborate with designers, content strategists, product managers and engineers to deliver the travel shopping experience that meet their needs. Prior to Expedia, my experience lay in psychology and law.