Tyler Myers

University of Washington class of 2018, majoring in Environmental Science and Resource Management. I attended Wellesley High School just outside of Boston and graduated from Mountain View High School.

During my time as an undergraduate student at the University of Washington I have been lucky enough to participate in two different environmental research projects. The summer of 2016 I worked on sites across Oregon and Washington gathering data on the regeneration of trees from plots where they were harvested for commercial use. My junior year I worked in similar vein, studying the difference in carbon content between harvested an unharvested forest soil samples from Washington and Brazil in UW’s Biogeochemistry Laboratory. The health of our planet is an issue that I care about deeply, and it is impossible to look at the Earth’s condition without acknowledging humanity’s impact on it. This study abroad program paints a vivid picture of how industrialization and gentrification effects the landscape of beautiful Aotearoa, New Zealand and I am beyond excited to be a part of it.

Dana, Nikki and I sitting the remaining stump from a massive kauri tree during our tour of the Waitangi Treaty Grounds.