Dana Camin

Born and raised in Los Altos, California, I graduated in 2014 from Mountainview High School and will be a senior at the University of Oregon this fall. I am majoring in Environmental Studies and Geography with core focuses on Policy, Social Science, and Environment, Economy and Sustainability (EES). Additionally I am working towards minors in both Economics and Political Science. My studies at the University of Oregon have broadened my understanding of different perspectives associated with our world’s environment and resources from a social, economic, and political point of view. At the UO I am also a member of the Chi Omega sorority and get the chance to interact with a wide range of students, local nonprofit groups and kids to raise money and give back to the community. I recently became interested in political science to define and combat local issues and work with all types of communities to address specific problems that arise.

Me (left) and Nikki in front of a waterfall near Karekare, NZ

Earlier this summer I worked as an intern in the Santa Clara County, researching ways city and county governments can uphold and support the Paris Climate Accord. At the end of my 10-week internship I produced a report containing policy recommendations I made after collaboration with government officials and local communities. My other past projects focused on the communication and information disconnect between minority groups, large corporations and governments, so I am looking forward to interacting with the native Māori people throughout our trip.

This is my first studying abroad experience and the only time I have had the opportunity to travel outside of North America. I am looking forward to meeting and learning from the Māori people of New Zealand to explore how the environment influences native culture and practices. I am excited to study the Maori community’s history and traditions to add to my research and passion of addressing local and native issues that relate to the environment.