Welcome to CEE!


This blog is intended for students who have been admitted to the Civil & Environmental Engineering graduate program.  We will address some of the most common questions here, and will be adding updates during the next few months.

You can choose to subscribe to receive email notifications when new posts are made.

Lorna Latal
Graduate Student Advisor
(Research track)
Civil & Environmental Engineering
University of Washington
Jennifer Ross
Graduate Program Advisor
(Non-thesis Master’s)
Civil & Environmental Engineering
University of Washington

Registration Requirements for RA/TA’s

Just a reminder, as your RA or TA offer letter should have stated, you will need to be registered for a minimum of 10 credits (which is considered full-time for a graduate student) during Autumn, Winter and Spring quarters in order to be eligible for your RA/TA appointment. Summer quarter only 2 credits are required.

Registration forms for Non-Thesis Master’s Students

Updated registration forms for Autumn quarter have been sent out. Note: This post is for students in the Non-Thesis Master’s program (except for Construction Engineering students – you will register through MyUW, you will not receive a registration form).

If you have not received the registration form, please check your spam folder. If you still did not receive the form, please let Jennifer Ross know at jenross1@uw.edu.

I’ve also sent out program plans for the different areas and the seminar requirements. Please let me know if you need those as well if you did not receive them.

Students have been asking about when payment of course fees are due. Course fee payments are due at the time of registration. So if you are waiting to register, I would register for your classes sooner rather than later. We try to accommodate student’s class choices but we can’t always predict the popularity of a class. We also can’t predict the number of students that are outside of the department who may be interested in our courses.

Registration for Non-thesis Students

If you have been admitted to the non-thesis master’s program (construction engineering students, disregard this post, it does not apply to you), then you will not register through MyUW, but will register through PCE (Professional and Continuing Education). You cannot register until you have received your registration form. Each quarter you will be sent a registration form by PCE. Course fees and student fees are due at time of registration for students in the non-thesis program (except construction engineering students).

Selecting Your Courses

Below is a link to our website that you may find helpful in planning your schedule for the year.


The CEE Projected Course Offerings for 2016-2017 lists all the CEE courses that are scheduled to be taught this upcoming year. It shows the quarter and instructor.
(This list is subject to change.)

The Autumn 2016 Preliminary Time Schedule shows more detail, including the day/time the class will be offered.

Future quarters of the Preliminary Time Schedule will be posted as they become available.

Master’s students, you should have received your master’s program plan from us. When planning your course schedule, be sure to refer to it to insure you are meeting your area degree requirements.

Measles Immunization Requirement

All matriculated UW Seattle campus students are required to provide proof of measles immunity. A registration hold will be put on your account until this requirement has been satisfied. If you are a continuing UW student, you do not need to provide this again.

For more information on how to prove the measles immunity, you can visit the Hall Health website here:

Please note that the immunity verification instructions have recently changed, and the updated instructions can be found at the Hall Health website link above (you will need a working UW Email address to complete the verification process).

Contact the Hall Health Center if you have questions about the verification process or whether or not they have received your immunization certificate form. The UW Measles Requirement hotline telephone number is 206-616-4672, or you may email them at measles@uw.edu


Enrollment Confirmation Deposit

All students who have accepted their offer of admission will be required to pay the $250 enrollment confirmation deposit. The deposit will be credited to your student account at the beginning of the quarter after you enroll.

Please note that this is not refundable and not transferrable to another quarter.

If you have accepted admission and have not received your enrollment confirmation deposit form within 2 weeks (possibly longer for international applicants), please let us know at ceginfo@uw.edu.

Lorna & Jennifer

International Student I-20 Request Form and Financial Ability Requirement

If you are an international student and you have accepted your offer of admission, your next step is to fill out your I-20 request form. You will need to log back into your application and download the I-20 request form from your application status screen. It should include instructions on how to fill out the form as well as what documentation is needed to prove your financial ability. If you have accepted an RA/TA or fellowship that provides a tuition waiver, monthly stipend and benefits, the CEE Advising Office has notified the Graduate School of your funding.

If you have any questions about the I-20 form or acceptable documentation to prove your financial ability, you should direct them to the Graduate School at uwgrad@uw.edu or you may call them at 206-543-5900.

The average living expenses for the 2016-2017 academic year can be found on the graduate school’s website at:


This will help you calculate the financial ability requirement which is needed for the I-20 request form.

2016 TA/RA Conference

Students who will be holding a TA or RA appointment during the 2016-2017 academic year, or a fellowship with the likely-hood of doing research or working as a Teaching Assistant, are expected to attend the TA/RA Conference, see below for details.

The 2016 TA/RA Conference will be held:

International TA Conference: Friday, September 16.

2016 TA/RA Conference:  Monday and Tuesday, September 19-20.

For more information regarding the conference, go to: http://www.washington.edu/teaching/programs/ta-ra-conference/

Lorna Latal
Graduate Program Advisor
Civil & Environmental Engineering
University of Washington
201 More Hall / Box 352700
Seattle, WA  98195-2700


GAIP Information for RA’s and TA’s

If you would like more information regarding the insurance plan for RA’s and TA’s, please go to the following website:

For coverage periods and enrollment deadlines, go to:  http://www.washington.edu/admin/hr/benefits/insure/gaip/deadlines.html

If you are an international student who has an RA appointment for autumn quarter, when you register you’ll need to select the ISHIP option. Then when your appointment is entered in the payroll system for autumn quarter it will switch to GAIP and you will not be charged for ISHIP.


Lorna Latal
Graduate Program Advisor
Civil & Environmental Engineering
University of Washington
201 More Hall / Box 352700
Seattle, WA  98195-2700