Registration for Non-thesis Students

If you have been admitted to the non-thesis master’s program (construction engineering students, disregard this post, it does not apply to you), then you will not register through MyUW, but will register through PCE (Professional and Continuing Education). You cannot register until you have received your registration form. Each quarter you will be sent a registration form by PCE. Course fees and student fees are due at time of registration for students in the non-thesis program (except construction engineering students).

Other Cost Estimates (living expenses, book, etc.)

Below are estimated costs for a graduate students from the Graduate School website (not counting tuition/course fees or student fees). Note: Health Insurance will be provided if you are an RA/TA or on a fellowship through the UW payroll system and receiving a stipend of at least $800/month.

Expenses Academic Year (9 Months) Calendar Year (12 Months)
Health Insurance (required) $1,200.00 $1,500.00
Room and Board $14,625.00 $19,500.00
Books and Supplies $1,236.00 $1,652.00
Local Transportation $1,296.00 $1,728.00
Personal Expenses $2,265.00 $3,020.00
TOTAL (U.S. dollars) $20,622.00 $27,400.00


Master’s Degree

All students in the master’s program will receive the Master of Science in Civil Engineering degree. The degree (and the diploma) are identical for all master’s students, there is no distinction made on transcripts or the diploma indicating if the students has completed the thesis or non-thesis program. It is the same for all master’s students. The diploma does not indicate the specialty area (i.e. it will not indicate structural engineering, transportation engineering, etc.).


Registration Process for Non-thesis Track

Students who have been admitted to the non-thesis track will register through the Professional and Continuing Education Office (PCE).  (The exception is Construction Engineering students, who will register through MyUW.) Registration forms with instructions will be sent out from PCE by email to students who have indicated they are accepting admission in their online application, and have paid their Enrollment Deposit by June 20, 2016.

Students in the non-thesis track will not be registering online through MyUW (except Construction Engineering students).

Payment of all course fees, student fees, and registration fee, will be due at time of registration by PCE.  Students who will be receiving financial aid will indicate “Less Financial Aid” in the payment information on page 1 of the PCE registration form.  Instructions will be provided with the registration forms.

We will be sending out program plans once we have updated them for the 2016-2017 academic year. In the meantime, you will be able to take a look at the non-thesis master’s program plans for 2015-2016, which are posted on our website. The program plans include information about area degree requirements, core courses, and electives you can choose for your area.

This should help you plan your course schedule for autumn quarter. You will also have time to make changes to your schedule if needed, before the autumn quarter begins.

Please make sure to use your registration form information (use the Registration #, for courses listed on the registration form) when you enroll for classes within CEE.

The autumn quarter 2016 time schedule for non-thesis students can be found here:

If you will be registering for classes outside of the department make sure to use the SLN number, as well as Course Abbreviation, Course Number and Section, and Course Title (for example: SLN 12059, CEE 516B: Earthquake Engineering II).


Cost of the Non-thesis Master’s Degree (Breakdown)

If you’ve been admitted to the non-thesis master’s program and will be registering through PCE, the charge for the program will be $551 per credit (the same for Washington Residents and Non-residents), plus student fees.  For non-thesis students, student fees are currently based on the number of credits taken per quarter.

Current student fees for 7-18 credits are $236, $41 Tech Fee, and $45 Registration Fee.

The degree is 42 credits, so the cost of the degree is about $23,142 (plus student fees), depending on how many total credits are taken.

Student fees are set by the university and may increase for the 2016-2017 academic year. The rates will be published some time in late June.

Registration Information and Choosing Classes

Registration for autumn quarter for incoming graduate students will be starting June 20th.

Registration Process:
Students in the Non-thesis program will receive registration forms and instructions from the Professional and Continuing Education Office.  Students on the research track (Master’s and PhD) and Construction Engineering students will register through MyUW.

Faculty advisors will be assigned later this summer, after admissions is finalized.  You will be notified at that time who your advisor will be. You will arrange to meet with your faculty advisor sometime between Sept. 16 and the beginning of the quarter to go over your yearly course plan. If you will be working on a research project, the faculty member you will be working with will be your advisor.

In the meantime, to start planning your autumn quarter schedule you can take a look at the Autumn 2016 Preliminary Time Schedule here:

You can take a look at the CEE Projected Course Offerings 2016-2017 to see what classes will be offered during the year. It is located at the same website link above.

The master’s degree requirements for the 2016-2017 academic year have not yet been finalized. You will be notified when they are available. Please refer to the 2015-2016 Master’s degree program plans for now, which are available on our website here: There may be some changes to the 2016-2017 degree requirements.

PhD students do not have a set of required curriculum and should plan to take 400 or 500 level classes in their area of interest, and possibly outside CEE. You will finalize your plan with your faculty advisor when you meet with them. They may have some classes they want you to take that will be relevant to your research.

Since you will not be meeting with your faculty advisor until September, you can pick the classes from the Preliminary Time Schedule you would be interested in taking, (keeping the degree requirements in mind when they are available), and go ahead and register when you are able. If you need to make any changes after meeting with your faculty advisor, it can be done through the first week of the quarter without any penalties.