Registration for Non-thesis Students

If you have been admitted to the non-thesis master’s program (construction engineering students, disregard this post, it does not apply to you), then you will not register through MyUW, but will register through PCE (Professional and Continuing Education). You cannot register until you have received your registration form. Each quarter you will be sent a registration form by PCE. Course fees and student fees are due at time of registration for students in the non-thesis program (except construction engineering students).

Selecting Your Courses

Below is a link to our website that you may find helpful in planning your schedule for the year.

The CEE Projected Course Offerings for 2016-2017 lists all the CEE courses that are scheduled to be taught this upcoming year. It shows the quarter and instructor.
(This list is subject to change.)

The Autumn 2016 Preliminary Time Schedule shows more detail, including the day/time the class will be offered.

Future quarters of the Preliminary Time Schedule will be posted as they become available.

Master’s students, you should have received your master’s program plan from us. When planning your course schedule, be sure to refer to it to insure you are meeting your area degree requirements.

Registration for Research Master’s/PhD Students

Students who are in the research track (master’s thesis or PhD) will register through MyUW. Registration begins June 20th for students new to the UW.

Updated 2016 Master’s Degree Program Plans, which contains degree requirements, will be available on our department website in the next few months.  Watch for an announcement when those are posted. You can review the CEE Projected Course Offerings 2016-2017 and the Autumn 2016 Preliminary Time Schedule on our website at:

The Projected Course Offerings document shows all classes to be offered during the 2016-2017 academic year, the quarter and instructor. The Autumn 2016 Preliminary Time Schedule shows more detail for that quarter, including day/time/location.

PhD degree requirements can be found on our website at:

The Autumn 2016 UW Time Schedule is now available online at:

If you have any questions, please contact Lorna Latal (


Registering for Undergraduate Classes

CEE undergraduates have priority to register for CEE undergraduate classes (numbered 400 or lower). If you wish to register for an undergraduate class in the CEE department, (be sure it is allowed by your area degree requirements) and submit the online request for an Add Code (*See Note below). The link to the Add Code request form is found at the top of the UW Time Schedule page for Autumn 2016:

*Note: Non-thesis students do not need an Add Code for 400 level classes if they are offered through PCE.  To view classes available Autumn quarter through PCE, go to:

By submitting the online Add Code request, you will be put on the waitlist so after undergraduates have registered, you will be able to register as long as there is still room in the class.  If the class is a required class for your area, we will do everything possible to be sure you get in.

Non-thesis students may take classes that are not offered through PCE, and also in other departments, as long as they are approved as part of the electives for your area.  We are in the process of updating the degree requirements and course electives, this should be available sometime in the next few months.  You can find the list of courses to be offered next year on our website.


Registration Process for Non-thesis Track

Students who have been admitted to the non-thesis track will register through the Professional and Continuing Education Office (PCE).  (The exception is Construction Engineering students, who will register through MyUW.) Registration forms with instructions will be sent out from PCE by email to students who have indicated they are accepting admission in their online application, and have paid their Enrollment Deposit by June 20, 2016.

Students in the non-thesis track will not be registering online through MyUW (except Construction Engineering students).

Payment of all course fees, student fees, and registration fee, will be due at time of registration by PCE.  Students who will be receiving financial aid will indicate “Less Financial Aid” in the payment information on page 1 of the PCE registration form.  Instructions will be provided with the registration forms.

We will be sending out program plans once we have updated them for the 2016-2017 academic year. In the meantime, you will be able to take a look at the non-thesis master’s program plans for 2015-2016, which are posted on our website. The program plans include information about area degree requirements, core courses, and electives you can choose for your area.

This should help you plan your course schedule for autumn quarter. You will also have time to make changes to your schedule if needed, before the autumn quarter begins.

Please make sure to use your registration form information (use the Registration #, for courses listed on the registration form) when you enroll for classes within CEE.

The autumn quarter 2016 time schedule for non-thesis students can be found here:

If you will be registering for classes outside of the department make sure to use the SLN number, as well as Course Abbreviation, Course Number and Section, and Course Title (for example: SLN 12059, CEE 516B: Earthquake Engineering II).


Registration Information and Choosing Classes

Registration for autumn quarter for incoming graduate students will be starting June 20th.

Registration Process:
Students in the Non-thesis program will receive registration forms and instructions from the Professional and Continuing Education Office.  Students on the research track (Master’s and PhD) and Construction Engineering students will register through MyUW.

Faculty advisors will be assigned later this summer, after admissions is finalized.  You will be notified at that time who your advisor will be. You will arrange to meet with your faculty advisor sometime between Sept. 16 and the beginning of the quarter to go over your yearly course plan. If you will be working on a research project, the faculty member you will be working with will be your advisor.

In the meantime, to start planning your autumn quarter schedule you can take a look at the Autumn 2016 Preliminary Time Schedule here:

You can take a look at the CEE Projected Course Offerings 2016-2017 to see what classes will be offered during the year. It is located at the same website link above.

The master’s degree requirements for the 2016-2017 academic year have not yet been finalized. You will be notified when they are available. Please refer to the 2015-2016 Master’s degree program plans for now, which are available on our website here: There may be some changes to the 2016-2017 degree requirements.

PhD students do not have a set of required curriculum and should plan to take 400 or 500 level classes in their area of interest, and possibly outside CEE. You will finalize your plan with your faculty advisor when you meet with them. They may have some classes they want you to take that will be relevant to your research.

Since you will not be meeting with your faculty advisor until September, you can pick the classes from the Preliminary Time Schedule you would be interested in taking, (keeping the degree requirements in mind when they are available), and go ahead and register when you are able. If you need to make any changes after meeting with your faculty advisor, it can be done through the first week of the quarter without any penalties.