Today’s focus will once again be communication skills that will help you care for children and families as a resident. We will practice calling consultants and discussing difficult news with families…with a little nutrition thrown in.
- “Enhancing medical student consultation request skills in an academic emergency department” by S Go.
- “The courteous consult: A consult card and training to improve resident consults” by A Podolsky A.
- “Delivering Bad or Life-Altering News” by Berkey F.
- A pocket resource for the GUIDE tool, another method for delivering difficult news.
- “SPIKES- A six step protocol for delivering bad news: Application to the patient with cancer” by W Baile.