2013 Alumna – A Husky once again

Tacoma native Dee Sonntag, a former PPPA student and UW Tacoma alumni (winter, 2013) is about to begin her last year at the University of Washington School of Law.

Dee SonntagBut that’s not where she started her legal education. She spent the 2013-14 academic year at the University of Idaho College of Law. “I traveled to Moscow, Idaho by myself, while my husband, Joey, and daughter, Jade (8) remained in Tacoma.” Although it wasn’t easy to be separated from her family, Sonntag noted, “I really enjoyed my studies at the COL. My professors and friends made the time away meaningful and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. As the regional mediation champion, I got to travel to Miami to complete in the ABA National Mediation Competition. I was also the Student Bar Association Representative for my section.”

Back in Washington just a year later, Sonntag is a Husky once again. This past summer, she transferred to the University of Washington School of Law where she is now a quarter-finalist in the 2014 2L/3L Mock Trial Competition

Sonntag spent this past summer working as an extern for the Pierce County Department of Assigned Counsel, researching a variety of criminal law issues, writing motions and memoranda, and observing felony attorneys. Currently working part time as a legal intern for the Pierce County Department of Assigned Counsel, she assists attorneys as they prepare for trial.

Next summer, Sonntag will work as an extern at the Seattle City Attorney’s Office in the criminal division. “It has long been my desire to work and observe both public defenders and prosecutors. My passion is to help ensure equal access to justice within the criminal justice system. These externship opportunities will help clarify for me where I belong.” She is projected to graduate in December of 2015 (two quarters early), and plans to take the bar exam in February 2016—and PASS!

Because she wants to stay in the area after graduation, she plans to apply for jobs here in the Puget Sound. “It is great to be home with my family. My daughter Jade turns 8 on 11/11 and I will never miss another birthday. I love watching her play soccer and we enjoy family bike rides. My extremely supportive husband Joey works for the Pierce County Clerk’s Office and I couldn’t do any of this without him.”

We here in PPPA are proud of Dee’s accomplishments and wish her all the best as she makes plans for a very bright future.