Update from Kevin – Sed Lab work and grad school plans

My work in the UW Sediment Dynamics Lab began about 2 years ago after spending a quarter in a research apprenticeship with Andrea Ogston and Emily Eidam. Since then, I’ve spent most of my time doing grain-size analysis on sediment samples from the Mekong River in Vietnam, the Amazon River in Brazil, and the Elwha River in northwestern Washington. My experiences and knowledge gained through working in this lab have been incredible, and they set the stage very well for my upcoming transition to graduate school.

This summer I begin working towards my next big goal, a Master’s degree in Geology from Boston College. A whole new set of challenges awaits, and I have this lab job to thank for my preparedness and eagerness to tackle them. The time spent with the people in this lab group has taught me a lot about research and grad student life, as well as the best way to process a sediment sample containing both gravel and mud.

When I graduated from UW last spring, my options were wide open and I had no idea what I would end up doing. My plan was to not really have one. Chuck Nittrouer and Andrea Ogston kept me in their lab, providing me with a stable job over the past year. Also, Andrea put me in touch with my soon-to-be advisor/PI at Boston College, Gail Kineke. This group has provided me with much support, from writing letters of recommendation to introductory Matlab skills, and plenty of samples to analyze to keep me busy.

I am eager to take what I’ve learned in this lab and apply it during my next journey. Because of the nurturing environment this lab group has created, I feel very well prepared to become a graduate student.

“It’s not dirt, it’s sediment!”

– Kevin Simans

Kevin explores the bottom of former Lake Mills on the Elwha River (Washington State, Olympic Peninsula). The remains of Glines Canyon Dam can be seen in the background.