General FAQs

Q:  Where can I find the III Library page?

A:  The Health Sciences Library page for the III Scholarship Requirement is here: As a reminder, Nikki Dettmar, your Health Sciences Librarian, is well versed in all III programs and available to assist you.


Q:  Can I apply to multiple III programs?

A:  Yes, you may apply to multiple programs, but you must commit to one by February 28, 2019


Q:  Can I continue my research during clerkships in my third year?

A:  No, research cannot be done while on a clerkship. If you would like to continue research during your third year, consider enrolling in a research elective. This is the most feasible way to dedicate time to a project.


Q:  Who can be a project mentor?

A:  Faculty project mentors may be any UWSOM faculty members with an Affiliate, Clinical, or Regular faculty appointment; this includes those at the Instructor level. Fellows and residents do not hold Faculty appointments, and are not eligible to be a research mentor or co-mentor.  If a student would like to work with a faculty mentor who does not hold a UWSOM appointment, then the student must also have a Faculty Co-mentor who does hold a UWSOM appointment in the event support is needed, and to be able to submit an evaluation of the student’s work.


Scholarship of Discovery FAQs

Q: Can my Faculty Mentor provide me with funding?

A: Yes, Faculty Mentors who have funds available and want to contribute to a student research project are allowed to do so. However, Faculty Mentor funding is not required and is not commonly available. Any Faculty Mentor funding is completely independent of UWSOM, and students do not need to seek permission from Curriculum to accept it.

Please note that accepting Faculty Mentor funding may reduce your Financial Aid package. We highly recommend that you consult with Diane Noecker (, UWSOM Financial Aid Director, before accepting any Faculty Mentor or outside funding. Please note that the UWSOM-provided relocation funding, for students moving from one Foundations site to another for the summer in order to perform III project research, does not affect your Financial Aid package.

Accepting Faculty Mentor funding will not affect eligibility for the UWSOM-provided relocation funding.


Q:  Are relocation funds available for students doing a Scholarship of Discovery project at a Foundations site that is different than their Foundations site? If so, how do I apply for this funding?

A:  A $1500 relocation stipend is available to students who travel from one Foundations campus to another to pursue an approved Scholarship of Discovery project. This funding is meant to help defray the costs of out-of-region housing and travel incurred to do summer research at a different Foundations site. The purpose of this stipend is to allow students to consider pursuing projects at Foundations sites in addition to their own. An application will be available in March 2019.


Q:  Do NIH Summer Internship Program (SIP), Injury Research Internship Program (INSIGHT), Medical Student Training in Aging Research (MSTAR), and other programs qualify as Scholarship of Discovery?

A:  Yes. However, in addition to applying to these programs, you must also submit a Scholarship of Discovery Project Proposal and meet this III program’s requirements (i.e., the poster presentation) in addition to the requirements of your outside research program.


Q:  Can I do an international Scholarship of Discovery Project?

A:  Yes, with the following conditions:

  1. You must have UWSOM Faculty member as Co-mentor on the project.
  2. Once your Project Proposal is approved, you are required to register with the UW Foreign Study Office.
  3. You must attend the required pre-departure safety orientation (typically the first Sunday in May). Please contact Daren Wade ( for more information.
  4. You must purchase the UW study abroad insurance. More information can be found here.
  5. You are also required to have Internet access in order to participate in the distance-learning Research Methods course over the summer term.


Q:  Where can I find guidance concerning IRB regulations and the process for obtaining IRB approval?

A:  If your project involves research with human subjects your Project Proposal must address how you will obtain any required Institutional Review Board (IRB) approvals in advance of the project start date. You, with the assistance of your Faculty Mentor, are responsible for determining IRB requirements and securing any required approvals. You may not be able to begin work on your project until these approvals are obtained. More information can be found here.



Q:  Can I do a RUOP but still do another III program to fulfill my III requirement?

A:  No. RUOP is a summer experience that does not allow sufficient time to concurrently participate in Scholarship of Discovery, Scholarship of Integration, nor GHIP.


Q:  I have and/or qualify for a III waiver. Can I still participate in RUOP and, if so, am I required to participate in the autumn poster session and complete all of the RUOP assignments?

A:  There is a non-III RUOP option available to students who qualify for the III waiver. Students interested in participating in RUOP solely for the clinical experience can elect this option. With this option, you would not be responsible for completing the assignments or participating in the autumn Poster Session. You will still need to complete an application and indicate that you are eligible for the III waiver.


Q:  Does RUOP or GHIP participation count towards fulfillment of my Pathway requirements?

A:  This depends on which Pathway you are in. Please discuss this with your Pathway Director.


Research Methods FAQs:

Q:  Are all students required to take the summer Research Methods course? I have an extensive background in the Research Methods material and wonder whether it’s possible to have this requirement waived.

A:  Only MSTP students are exempted from taking the Research Methods course; it is a graduation requirement for all others. While you may have a background in research, this course is unique in that it is medically focused and teaches biostatistics and epidemiology from a clinician’s perspective.


Q:  What if I my III project requires me to be in another country over the summer?

A:  You are required to have Internet access in order to participate in the distance-learning Research Methods course over the summer term.


Q:  What is the time commitment for this course?

A:  The time commitment range from 5 to 10 hours per week. This should be taken into account when discussing your project timeline with your Faculty Mentor.


Q:  What am I registered for in the summer quarter?

A:  You will be registered for Research Methods: Clinical Skills (6 credits) in the summer. 6 credits are the minimum number of credits required for students to obtain financial aid and other benefits associated with being a student.