Before delving into the case you may find it useful to read more about the following terms:
While reading the case consider the following:
- Imagine empathizing with each stakeholder. Consider their different or shared beliefs, emotions, and values.
- Can you frame 1-2 ethical issues that arise in this case in a single sentence? For example, you might find that one professional obligation (e.g. benefiting the patient from a medical perspective) seems to conflict with another (e.g. respecting the patient’s autonomy).
And remember your Ethics Toolkit if you’re feeling lost or want to dig deeper… (we’ll go over this in Week 1 of EHM, but feel free to explore it now)
If you are interested in further reading:
- Segal, TY. Adolescence: what the cystic fibrosis team needs to know. Journal of the Royal Society of Med 2008:101:S15-S27.
- UpToDate: Cystic Fibrosis: Overview of the treatment of lung disease [UpToDate is a database available through the UW library website]
- Eakin MN et al.Longitudinal association between medication adherence and lung health in people with cystic fibrosis. Journal of Cystic Fibrosis 10, 258-264, 2011. See especially the discussion section.
- Withers, AL. Review Article: Management Issues for Adolescents with Cystic Fibrosis. Pulmonary Medicine. 2012. doi:10.1155/2012/134132