REVIEW these key ethics terms:
WATCH this video of Carol Gilligan on Moral Development and Care Ethics:
While watching, CONSIDER …
- What is different about the approach that Gilligan is suggesting (i.e. a relational or Care Ethics based approach) from what you typically think of in terms of your ethical obligations as physicians.
READ Baby Aaron and the Elders by Ellen Wright Clayton and Eric Kodish .
While reading CONSIDER:
- How is a communitarian approach being employed by Aaron’s family?
- How could a communitarian approach guide the response of the medical provider?
- What would be the primary goal(s) in a Care Ethics based approach to this case? Be specific.
- How might a Care Ethics approach guide your particular response to baby Aaron’s family? What would it avoid?