Complete the readings
Watch: Entering and Exiting Communities
- Whether you’re working with a partner, conducting a site visit, doing research, or getting to know folks in a community, it helps to think through the before, during, and after to create a comfortable, safe, and reciprocal experience
READ: Collins, Janet, and Jeffrey P. Koplan. “Health impact assessment: a step toward health in all policies.” Jama 302.3 (2009): 315-317.
- Instructions: Review social and structural determinants of health and how they apply to communities and health outcomes.
Review Community Visit Materials on Canvas
Supplemental readings and resources (not required)
- Violence: Beyer, Kirsten, Anne Baber Wallis, and L. Kevin Hamberger. “Neighborhood Environment and Intimate Partner Violence: A Systematic Review.” Trauma, violence & abuse 16.1 (2015): 16–47. PMC.
- LGBT & Resilience: McConnell, Elizabeth A., et al. “Multiple Minority Stress and LGBT Community Resilience among Sexual Minority Men.” Psychology of Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity, vol. 5, no. 1, Mar. 2018, pp. 1-12. EBSCOhost
- Latinx Mental Health & Segregation: Nobles CJ, Valentine SE, Zepeda ED, et al Residential segregation and mental health among Latinos in a nationally representative survey. J Epidemiol Community Health 2017;71:318-323.
- Food Insecurity & Gender: Martin, Molly A., and Adam Lippert. “Feeding Her Children, but Risking Her Health: The Intersection of Gender, Household Food Insecurity and Obesity.” Social science & medicine (2012): 1754–1764. PMC.
- Asian American Immigrants and Social Support: Singh, Shipra, Kimberly McBride, and Vivek Kak. “Role of social support in examining acculturative stress and psychological distress among Asian American immigrants and three sub-groups: Results from NLAAS.” Journal of immigrant and minority health 17.6 (2015): 1597-1606.
- Gentrification: Cole HVS, Garcia Lamarca M, Connolly JJT, et al Are green cities healthy and equitable? Unpacking the relationship between health, green space and gentrification J Epidemiol Community Health 2017;71:1118-1121.