Many of you are familiar with Atul Gwande and his writings. We will refer to The Bell Curve, What happens when patients find out how good their doctors really are? by Dr. Gwande many times in EHM. This article emphasizes many aspects of the course. Some of the major themes are health systems improvements, social determinants of health, inter professional education, communication, professionalism and ethics.
Click the link to download The Bell Curve highlighted for this reading.
We have highlighted the passages with in the reading that are directly related to this session.
- What did you find surprising about this article?
- How did you feel when you read about the initial appointment Honor and Don Page had with the team at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital?
- What did you think about the appointment Alyssa had with Cori Danes?
- Compare and contrast that with Janelle’s appointment with Dr. Warwick at Fairview-University Children’s Hospital in Minneapolis.
- Write down some different strategies employed by both care teams. Are there other strategies you might have employed when communicating with these two patients?
- Did this article make you rethink your understanding of ‘non-adherence’? If so, how?