D/HH COMMUNICATION SPECIALIST
PROFESSIONAL LEARNING COMMUNITY (PLC)
Wednesday November 8, 2017 12:00 – 3:00 pm
Please RSVP to email@example.com.
Joining via K20? Tell Deirdre your location.
Interpreter requests or other accommodation requests? Let Deirdre know by November 1.
Location: Willard Early Learning Center, 3201 S D Street, Tacoma, WA 98402
Title: Assessing and serving children with hearing loss and autism spectrum disorder
Course Description: Information on this topic will be presented through discussion within a professional learning community (PLC) format. We will discuss the challenges of accurate identification of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) in children who are deaf or hard of hearing (D/HH). We will explore additional issues, such as educational placement decisions and treatment approaches.
- Participants will learn about differential diagnosis for children with hearing loss and suspected ASD.
- Participants will examine existing literature on children with hearing loss and ASD.
- Participants will discuss educational placement decisions and therapy approaches for children with hearing loss and ASD.
- 12:00 – 12:15 Introductions
- 12:15 – 12:30 Deirdre Curle – Overview of existing research on children with hearing loss and ASD
- 12:30 – 1:30 Journal article discussion: A Summary of Current Understanding Regarding Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing in Seminars in Speech and Language, Vol. 35, No. 4. (We will email you the article.)
- 1:30 – 1:45 break
- 1:45 – 2:45 Regina McGinnis, MA, LMHC and Terra Boulse-Archaro, MA, CCC-SLP, Seattle Children’s Hospital – Assessing children with hearing loss who have signs/symptoms of ASD
- 2:45 – 3:00 Wrap up
Bring a brown bag lunch. We’ll have a few snacks on hand.
Earn 3 clock hours: Forms will be emailed to you. Fill out and send to ESD 112.
ASHA CEUs? Yes, but it’s complicated. If you complete the additional readings from the issue in Seminars, you can earn 1.35 ASHA CEUs. Cost: $40